Skimmers need some understanding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dg98

Aquarium Advice Newbie
As in a previous post am thinking of starting a marine tank in a few months, I have done some research in internet about marine aquariums and what's involved. The amount of equipment and knowledge is vast obviously being my first marine tank would like to keep it simple.
Feel like a stupid idiot asking these questions!
but trying to understand processes of marine tank keeping. First I understand that skimmers produce bubbles that collect waste and gets past on to a sump I presume. Correct please i am wrong!
I believe size of bubbles can be adjusted when and why do you adjust skimmers?
Also not sure if this is right but do some have compartments with filter media, what compartment do you put the different media in and why?

Correct me if iam wrong or using wrong terminology, is there anything else about skimmers u should know?
Please pretend you are trying to explain to a kid please am complete beginner.
Am starting to wounder if I am experienced enough to keep marine fish but everyone must start somewhere!
Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A skimmer is separate to the sump and collects waste in a cup at the top of it (for you to remove) skimmers can be in tank (like mine) hang on the back or placed in the sump. A sump can have a couple of partitions, one for the intake, one can be used for a refuge, one for the return pump. Skimmers and heaters can be put in to reduce the amount of equipment showing in your display. Most people put live rock in the sump to help with filtration. Does that make sense? What size tank are you going to go with? Smaller tanks don't need a sump but it is always beneficial...

Ok so if skimmer is in sump does water go threw sump and get filtrated then go threw skimmer and back in tank. Or does skimmer work independently to sump if you know what I mean, just like it can be stored in sump for convenience. Anyways posted another thread about best tank as was thinking about an all in one nano tank as I have limited space. Was thinking tmc mirco habitat 30lt, aquael 30lt, or kent bio reef think it is 94lt. Just wanted a few fish , invertebrates. My main interest is coral they are just amazing, trying to recreate my days of diving in Maldives, Egypt in my lounge.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok no worries, go for the 94lt one - there are no fish really suited to 30lts in saltwater, a single small goby perhaps. The 94 will give you a few more options fish wise. You also don't really need a skimmer on that size tank, especially if you buy an all in one tank. (I have no experience with those) I have a 40lt and a 200lt reef tanks. There is a lot to learn and it's very addictive! Things I think are good to know off the bat - you can't use tap water for a reef, ro-di water is your best friend. Buy good quality liquid test kits and a refractometer for salinity. Always research your purchases and ask questions here, your local fish shop may not have to best advise for you :) do a fish less cycle and remember to stock slowly and lightly. Start with fish and work your way up to corals, you may only be able to keep some corals (depending on the light you buy, expect to pay big $$ for the right one) definitely wait a good 4-6 months before introducing corals to your tank and lastly make sure you buy reef safe fishes :)

Back
Top Bottom