Skip fresh and start with salt water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ILS-19R

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know it is highly recommend doing fresh water first, but I would really like to start out in saltwater. I have no FW experience, other than a semi-large tank our family had when I was a kid. Recently I purchased a 72 gallon tank and I would really like to skip fresh water. Would love to hear advice, especially from anyone else who skipped FW.

First, I have done tons of reading and will continue to do so. I am willing to take it slowly and not rush into it. I think those two factors will be a big help. My tank is a 72 gallon bow front. Filter is a Rena XP3, but will add live rocks. No protein skimmer yet. Would like to start out simple and add coral, etc. down the road when I am comfortable.

So, am I nuts for wanting to skip fresh? Any encouragement or advice? Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have been reading the forums a lot, but this is my first post.

I had fresh when I was a kid so the experince did not help me since things change in how stuff is done...
I would say that I skipped it and went with salt water for a first tank... I took mine a step further and went nano..
You are on the right track to go slowly , and reading , there is a book called the conciences marine aquarist , get it it is a good book ...
Look to your future of what you want you say eventually you would like corals , buy lights that will support them now so you are not buying a new set in a few months....
I have had my ups and downs but they really are two diffrent beasts , the only common thing I can find is that there are fish you dont over feed and that you take your time .
Cycling is done now with out fish (any thing that decays will start your cycle)
Try not to listen to the pet store they have a bottom line that they need to meet , here folks have nothing to gain by trying to sell stuff so they will tell you wether you really need it or not .
I would say you can do it it is not that hard but more detail orented than any thing ..
Oh yea continue to read read , and just when you think there is no more to read read some more .......Join up online sites diffrent folks have seen diffrent things so that is a benifit as well... Good luck you can do this with patients and time

I also skipped freshwater and went straight to my 75gallon saltwater. Everybody I talked to (family and friends) tried to discourage me telling me that "it is so hard and is so much work." None of them ever even had a saltwater aquarium before. Except for one story I heard from my wife telling me that her coworkers husband had a saltwater tank and nothing would live more than a month and it is a money pit. I have had mine 6-months now and only one fish died which I think was sick when I bought it. I see it more as a challenge and if you do regular maitenance its not that much work. Not overwhelming by any means. I did read a book first. I read Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies 2nd edition. This book has helped me a lot. Especially with the set up process. I do wish I would have found this website before I got started. That would have been a big help. This saltwater experience has turned into an enjoyable hobby. Next I'm looking into getting coral. The "money pit" may be accurate but it depends how you look at it. Most hobbies cost money and you may as well do something enjoyable with your money. From my experiences the last post by sadielyn is very accurate. I would recommend going straight to saltwater as long as you have the time to read, learn and be patient. I believe the reward is great because they are much prettier than freshwater tanks.

I also skipped fresh but unlike you i didnt have these guys to help me out when i first started I had the WONDERFUL LFS (sarcasam) Telling me stuff like oh its fine to put a puffer, chocloate chip star and a brittle star in a reef tank. Never telling me anything about cycling and saying she had a porcupine puffer in a 10G salt tank... YA!!! So I started out pretty rough and I still dont know a lot but im learning. I think since you came here looking for advice and are willing to take it slow you should be fine. I am having to relearn it all for my tank i am trying to get set up now. Good Luck! OH I also reccoment slatwater aquariums for dummies its a awesome book and makes it fun to read and learn about our great hobbie.

I agree with the others. I've read so many places that say otherwise but the fact is, if you do you homework by reading as many publications and materials you can get your hands on, ask questions from experienced hobbyist, and be patient you should be able to do it. Good luck, welcome to AA, and welcome to the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom