Sky's Diving Into The Reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha nice man! Those brute trashcans are pretty beast.....

Spend alot of time on your scape and make it perfect! I know you love to change your freshwater scape all the time, but its much more difficult and dangerous to change a saltwater scape! :)

That's why I won't have any stock of anything in there for quite a while! I don't trust myself to leave it alone and be happy with it until it's perfect. I know that I'll be more of a perfectionist with this tank than my FW.

I'll need lots of scape advice from you all while I get it perfect :)

Bearchumjs said:
I like your little mountain of rock!

Lol thanks! I love how many nooks,crannies, and little tunnels there are.

Last edited:
Hahaha well everyone has their own preferances... If you want a ton of corals then you will probably need to stack some rocks :/ it will look bad to start with but once you get more coral and they grow out it will look nice.

Or you could do like i did, and try to make a differant scape thats kinda unique, but you wont have a ton of coral placements.... Your call!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Hahaha well everyone has their own preferances... If you want a ton of corals then you will probably need to stack some rocks :/ it will look bad to start with but once you get more coral and they grow out it will look nice.

Or you could do like i did, and try to make a differant scape thats kinda unique, but you wont have a ton of coral placements.... Your call!

I do want a fair number of corals so I'm stacking and building on from what I already have. I think that doing it this way will help me create a good scape for both the corals and fish.

I'm going unique with lots of coral spaces! Lol

Tested my water today for the basic cycle stuff. what do you all think?

PH: 8.2
Ammo: 1.0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5.0

well i got a significant amount of rock today. I've arranged it how i like it for now but i'm still going to be getting another 30-40lbs so once i get everything i will do an actual scape that i like. In the mean time, here it is.

Water param results:
Ammonia: 1.5 ppm
Nitrites: .5 ppm
Nitrates: 5.0 ppm
Calcium: 460 ppm
KH: 12 dKH
Phosphates: .25

Attachments

• Reef 08-20-12.jpg
    Reef 08-20-12.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
hooked up the PhosBan reactor tonight. I'm using the NPX Bioplastics pellets so here's hoping it helps with the phosphates i have.

skywhitney said:
well i got a significant amount of rock today. I've arranged it how i like it for now but i'm still going to be getting another 30-40lbs so once i get everything i will do an actual scape that i like. In the mean time, here it is.

Water param results:
Ammonia: 1.5 ppm
Nitrites: .5 ppm
KH: 12 dKH
Phosphates: .25

I am loving the rockscape so far! :D

I am loving the rockscape so far! :D

lol Yay the thread isn't dead!

Thanks :) I will still be putting another 30-40 lbs of rock and another 20lbs of sand in there so it should fill out nicely. These rocks all fit together really well for little caves, tunnels, and such.

Test readings from tonight:

PH: 8.3
Ammonia: 1.0 ppm
Nitrites: 5.0 ppm

Sorry if some of these posts seem really useless, i'm using this as a build journal as well.

so we've been away for a few days and i come home to find diatoms on one rock (nowhere else though) and coraline starting to grow on pretty much all the rocks! woohoo!

I'm going to test my water now and see how its coming along. I'll post the results in a few :)

Woo hoo!! I love the way coraline looks

I didnt know you had this thread, you probably told me lol. I just read every page! Tank is looking nice and the cycle is moving along, cant wait to see some corals in there :)

skywhitney said:
hooked up the PhosBan reactor tonight. I'm using the NPX Bioplastics pellets so here's hoping it helps with the phosphates i have.

Biopellets are more for nitrates imo gfo is more for phosphate

skywhitney said:

Not saying they wont help with phosphate but if you using reactor for phosphate gfo is the way to go imo

Here are the reading for tonight:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 20 ppm
KH: 8 dKH
Phosphates: .10

skywhitney said:
Here are the reading for tonight:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 20 ppm
KH: 8 dKH
Phosphates: .10

Not bad at all. Cycle is moving right along.

Woo hoo!! I love the way coraline looks

I didnt know you had this thread, you probably told me lol. I just read every page! Tank is looking nice and the cycle is moving along, cant wait to see some corals in there :)

Glad you found it! :) the cycle seems to be coming along pretty well, i just want it to hurry so i can see something moving in the tank lol.

Back
Top Bottom