Sky's Diving Into The Reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so the coraline seems to be spreading at a nice pace but i'm in the middle of a diatom bloom now so there is a lot of pretty blown on the majority of my rocks. It should die down in a little while though so now to just wait it out.

i think my cycle is completed now.

PH: 8.4
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 5 ppm

I have diatoms covering everything right now but the cerith and mexican turbo snails are helping with that.

I'm picking up the rest of my rock, sand, and equipment on saturday. Woohoo!

skywhitney said:
i think my cycle is completed now.

PH: 8.4
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 5 ppm

I have diatoms covering everything right now but the cerith and mexican turbo snails are helping with that.

I'm picking up the rest of my rock, sand, and equipment on saturday. Woohoo!

geez, what was that, like two weeks!?!? Congrats!

Thanks guys!

On a side note, an observation that i've made, which probably comes as no surprise to most, is that filter socks are nitrate factories. my nitrates went from 20 down to 5 just by changing out one sock.

skywhitney said:
Thanks guys!

On a side note, an observation that i've made, which probably comes as no surprise to most, is that filter socks are nitrate factories. my nitrates went from 20 down to 5 just by changing out one sock.

How often do you clean them? I clean mine either daily or every other so has never really been an issue for me.

How often do you clean them? I clean mine either daily or every other so has never really been an issue for me.
Well my issue is probably that they were changed once since i started the tank. I'm going to start rotating 1 out every few days for now, more often if needed.

skywhitney said:
Well my issue is probably that they were changed once since i started the tank. I'm going to start rotating 1 out every few days for now, more often if needed.

When you begin stocking and reach your full feeding schedule most CAN'T go more then a few days without their socks overflowing. What micron do you use?

When you begin stocking and reach your full feeding schedule most CAN'T go more then a few days without their socks overflowing. What micron do you use?
200. I have a total of 4 socks to rotate with.

Ya my mesh 200 clogs in about a day and a half after feeding my nylons last almost 3 days. I need to order some more though mine are beginning to see some wear after about 8 months : / ... If I were you I would try to get into the routine of swapping them out twice a week minimum. I tend to clean my socks about an hour after mag floating my glass to try and remove a lil extra algae from the system

Ya my mesh 200 clogs in about a day and a half after feeding my nylons last almost 3 days. I need to order some more though mine are beginning to see some wear after about 8 months : / ... If I were you I would try to get into the routine of swapping them out twice a week minimum. I tend to clean my socks about an hour after mag floating my glass to try and remove a lil extra algae from the system
That wouldn't be a hard process to get set up. What is the best way to clean the socks?

Some use their washing machine but I just hand wash in scalding hot water and let them air dry (no soap just water)

Some use their washing machine but I just hand wash in scalding hot water and let them air dry (no soap just water)
Great, thats what i've been doing.

When i eventually add Chaeto that will help somewhat with the nitrates as well correct?

Definitely will. I never have any nitrates in my tank thanks to my refugium :)

Busy day today! I got the rock, sand, and equipment from my friend so i got that all set up. The rocks i got even came with a couple of corals :) a Monitora and another one which is unidentified (pic below). I also got the fish that were in her tank as well, a Yellow Clown Goby and a Flametail Blenny.

What do you all think?

Attachments

• image-2142662767.jpg
    image-2142662767.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 93
  • image-3051840292.jpg
    image-3051840292.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 121
  • image-3567852651.jpg
    image-3567852651.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 118
  • image-2893251395.jpg
    image-2893251395.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 113
  • image-2080787400.jpg
    image-2080787400.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 124
  • image-1676770962.jpg
    image-1676770962.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 117
skywhitney said:
Busy day today! I got the rock, sand, and equipment from my friend so i got that all set up. The rocks i got even came with a couple of corals :) a Monitora and another one which is unidentified (pic below). I also got the fish that were in her tank as well, a Yellow Clown Goby and a Flametail Blenny.

What do you all think?

So exciting!! Hey! I have a Pom Pom crab too!! He's so cute. I spot feed mine with the PH off and he catches it out of the turkey baster. :) Like your goby and blenny too!

Thanks everyone! :) I'm debating whether or not to build up the rock a little higher since at the highest point it's only half way to the top.

All the rock I have is so cavernous and there so many caves I kinda wish I was small enough to play around in the tank lol. Kinda weird but I'm sure somebody understands lol.

Back
Top Bottom