Sky's Diving Into The Reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
skywhitney said:
Thanks everyone! :) I'm debating whether or not to build up the rock a little higher since at the highest point it's only half way to the top.

All the rock I have is so cavernous and there so many caves I kinda wish I was small enough to play around in the tank lol. Kinda weird but I'm sure somebody understands lol.

Ahahahah that last part made me laugh fosho. But ya i understand;) you wanna be the little clown goby...!!!

Yes! That was my only thought, build it up a little higher. Youll be happy you did..

Unbelievable..you tank is already on the berge of looking better than mine..?!! Argh what can you do;) hahah

I went back and looked at the photos. Maybe building it higher would be nice.

You also have a little emerald crab! I didn't see it the first time. So cute!

i think i'm going to go get some more rock tomorrow if i can find some good pieces. I'm torn on whether i should build up the sides and have it slope toward the center or if i should build the center and slope it to the sides (that made sense?). Suggestions

I actually have 2 emeralds. cool little crabs. I'll post my stock list to date in the next post.

I was told that it would take a while for Benny (the blenny) to warm up to me but he's been coming out to the glass all day when i come up to the tank. he's an awesome little guy. Sorry Nu-Nu, can't have him. ;)

I am hooked on this tank, there is always something new in it. Every time i look at it, i notice something else or some other kind of little critter, it's awesome. I also got my first taste of seeing it under the moon lights last night and it was like a completely different tank! The colors it produces are incredible.

I think i might have just been fully converted...

Last edited:
Stock list to date:

Inverts
2x Emerald Crabs
1x Pom Pom Crab
3x Red Legged Hermits (small)
3x Blue Legged Hermits (small)
1x unknown Hermit (large)
3x Mexican Turbo Snails
3x Cerith Snails
1x Astrea Snail

Fish
1x Yellow Clown Goby
1x Flametail Blenny

Where should i go from here?

so i was looking at the tank for the umpteenth time tonight and i saw these really vibrant corals (i think they're corals lol, no idea though) so i had to rearrange the rock a little cause they were about to be squished. What do you guys think now?

I'm in that "need to take countless pics of the tank cause i think its super awesome" phase so bear with me here. :whistle:

Attachments

• IMG_20120902_222057.jpg
    IMG_20120902_222057.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20120902_200958.jpg
    IMG_20120902_200958.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20120902_222014.jpg
    IMG_20120902_222014.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20120902_192343.jpg
    IMG_20120902_192343.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 110
Hey nice finds!! The 2nd pic looks like GSP (green star polyps), and the 3rd looks like a type of paly. Not sure exactly on the name

Hey nice finds!! The 2nd pic looks like GSP (green star polyps), and the 3rd looks like a type of paly. Not sure exactly on the name

Thanks! Hopefully the GSP take over the rock they're on, it'd look awesome to see that rock covered.

skywhitney said:
Thanks! Hopefully the GSP take over the rock they're on, it'd look awesome to see that rock covered.

Gsp will take over your whole tank keep it away from the rest of the rock in my tank its already killed a red monti several zoas and now moving to a birdsnest very aggressive

There is only one rock with GSP on it in the back right hand corner of the tank. This is a stand alone rock so it would have to make a pretty good jump to the rest of the rock but I will be keeping a close eye on it since this jump is possible. Thanks for the heads up!

So the GSP rock has been moved to the front right corner of the tank so I can keep a better watch on its growth. I got a positive ID on the green and the yellow Zoanthids, still don't know what species Chalice I have, and the montipora is starting to get nice and fleshy looking :)

So far, so good!

Edit: the tank is sitting hot though at 82. Might have to get a fan for the top. I took off the glass tops though to see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Water Test tonight! Here's the results:

PH: 8.4
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm
Calcium: 460 ppm
KH: 8 dKH
Phosphates: 0 ppm

Woohoo!

Tank temp is now down to 80 with the lids off as well, probably gonna keep them off for a few days and see what happens

skywhitney said:
Tank temp is now down to 80 with the lids off as well, probably gonna keep them off for a few days and see what happens

Thank goodness it came down a little! Just keep an eye on the evaporation. You'll probably need to top off more with no lids on it.

Thank goodness it came down a little! Just keep an eye on the evaporation. You'll probably need to top off more with no lids on it.

yeah, thats why i've been trying to leave them on. oh well, i'll make due lol

Removing those lids will certainly help with evaporative cooling, so that was a good idea. My 75 evaporates off about a gallon a day it seems.

So my tank is sitting at 78-79 after having the lights on all day! perfect.

I got the final 15 lbs of base rock I've been wanting so I can build the rock higher. Due to the size of the new rocks I had to put them on the bottom under the current rock so it was a bit of a project tonight. While I had the rocks out I added more substrate so now I have a mix of sugar sand and crushed coral, IMO this combination looks better since it feels more natural. The new scape looks a little symmetrical but that's just how the rocks fit best together. I kinda dig it though.

The rock in the front right corner is the one with the GSP and orange zoanthids on it. It's separated by about 4" from any other rock because I figured this would make it easier for me to control.

Here is the new scape. What do you think? :popcorn:

Attachments

• Reef 09-05-12.jpg
    Reef 09-05-12.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 279
Back
Top Bottom