Sky's Newest 120g Adventure (pic heavy)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shallow reefs are really neat. How are you holding the mangroves in place? Don't forget to spritz them down, that's the mistake I made with mine and they died off.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Shallow reefs are really neat. How are you holding the mangroves in place? Don't forget to spritz them down, that's the mistake I made with mine and they died off.

They are attached to a floating styrofoam raft. I haven't been spritzing them that much...maybe I should do it more. How often do you think they need a spraying?

Maybe daily? The key is to prevent salt build up on the plant I hear.

Interesting. I haven't seen any salt build up on them but I'm thinking it'll be safer to spray them just in case.

Well I'm not getting a shallow tank after all. The wife is letting me buy a new car instead! Woohoo!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hey Sky! Good to hear from you again.
Tank looks great, but sorry to hear about the angel. She was very very pretty.

It's been a while since I've updated this thread so here are the main points to bring it current:
- I just recently got 2 new Snowflake Ocellaris Clownfish
- Yesterday I changed out my sump for a new Trigger Systems Tide Line 30 sump (this sump is amazing!!) It freed up almost 18" of space in the stand which now perfectly houses my ATO bottles.
- The Mangroves are doing awesome, just last week one of them out out 2 new leaves

My intent this last weekend was to break this tank down to a 93 cube but it was decided that my wife decided she liked this tank better. Yaya for keeping the larger dystem!!

img_3081748_0_cc0afd2553d0c0426e508dc814db6a60.jpg

img_3081748_1_d448b98fe0db1a0e07d2f409a0cc3d4b.jpg

img_3081748_2_9c7358974b3b54a3266df3eda4445a56.jpg

Sent from my SM-T800 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

over the last few days I've noticed that my corals seem rather blah looking. I decided to put my LED back on the tank and everything is looking much happier already.

img_3086569_0_6e72084481537aa849ad42203ee32684.jpg

After a few days back under the LED all the coral are looking nice and happy. I'm seeing some colors starting to come out again that I haven't seen in quite some time. I'll try to get some new pics in the next couple days.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm a tad confused. The LEDs were off why? What was lighting things for the coral? Overall things look like they are going well.

I'm a tad confused. The LEDs were off why? What was lighting things for the coral? Overall things look like they are going well.

I took them off cause I thought the room was to bright and I wanted it darker. I figured the corals could use a good nap too. lol :brows:

In all seriousness I switched them out for a quad T5HO for a while cause I noticed that I was getting tons of algae growth and my corals weren't responding like they used to. Everything was looking great for quite a while but the leg of my fixture broke and the whole unit almost fell into the tank so I went back to the LED since I can hang them easily.

Be careful swapping lights back and forth like that. You could shock the corals. Especially using the 10x more efficient LEDs.

Be careful swapping lights back and forth like that. You could shock the corals. Especially using the 10x more efficient LEDs.

I moved to the T5 at the beginning of April so there the switching hasn't been in close proximity. The LEDs are also on low setting (40% blues, 30% whites) to re-acclimate everything.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 via the Aquarium Advice app.

I put a 1inch corner molding on the front side of my lights it cuts a lot of the spill over light in the room and directs it more into tank notice how it don't bleed out into the room as much

notice how much how much it bleeds without the 1 inch molding

img_3091156_0_820089c6234ea5c0596965acdb615257.jpg

this is with the 1 inch molding see how it don't bleed out as much

img_3091156_1_82f58112c0e63a4e9dc73179b0034a08.jpg

my living room used to glow it cuts it back about 50%

Wow it has been awhile since I updated this. Oops.

Well I guess not a ton has changed with the tank. I'll try to get some updated pictures tomorrow while the lights are on.

Let's see...
  • I got a new LumenTek Pro 240 LED fixture. I am also running a dual T5HO in conjunction at times.
  • I picked up a Nuvo 20 that I'm using as my QT.
  • I've bought a number of new zoa colonies and found out that they came work some nice free nudibranchs eggs. I am currently trying to kill off all the tiny little demons and have all my colonies in QT. Tonight was their first round of coralRX dip (other than their initial dip when I got them) and at least 20 tiny nudibranchs came off.
  • I picked up a nice Solorensis wrasse today which is in QT with the Zoas.
  • I will more than likely be picking up the mystery wrasse that was the Solorensis's tankmate on Monday.

How often should I dip the Zoas? Weekly?

Last edited:
I think I'm going to do it every few days. Even after the dip I ended up pulling about 5 or so off with tweezers last night. I've flashlighted them a couple of times since then and haven't seen any evidence of more but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Pictures are here

Here is a FTS as of tonight.
img_3192834_0_df17e36293caa2190d571baab1ecac8f.jpg

The QT
img_3192834_1_3d4e3f0800926e47400b84197592ee5a.jpg

The solorensis wrasse
img_3192834_2_7ed878eecb862926be29fb3b903103dd.jpg

That lumentek pro is basically the same thing that you had. Same bridgelux leds, same wattage per. What made you change? You wanted to control the entire light with a single remote?

Yeah i never expected them to be much different. Some of the drivers were dying on my other units and the same unit wasn't selling anymore. The one single unit just looks cleaner as well imo.

I'm using one of the Radion XR15 units on the QT tank and I really like that so far. In time I'll probably switch the DT over to radions as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom