Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2003, 02:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to atif
sleepless in san francisco

ok guys - i have a clown (3 stripe kind) and have had him/her in my tank for 2 days now. we have noticed that it really does not sleep! just swims around checking out the hood.

is this normal? how can you tell if it's a he or she? should i get it a friend (another clown)? btw we don't have any anemones in the tank for it to hide in. the yellow tang the we got at the same time seems to go behind it's favorite rock and hide for the night.

thanks in advance. Atif

Old 08-12-2003, 06:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What size tank do you have? You might be mistaking it checking out the hood for sleeping. I have 2 clowns and when they sleep, the swin in place at the top of the tank underneath my skimmer. You don't need an anemone for your clowns, in fact, most would out right tell you to stay away from them. They are hard to take care of them. Clowns in captivity do not need anemones because they have no predators in the tank. They use them in the wild as protection. Some clowns won't even take to an anemone in a tank if you put one in there for it. UMM as far as adding a second clown, i would think it was a good idea, but i could be wrong. Also, clowns are hermaphrodites (sp). i think the only way to tell is if they are in pairs, the one who is most dominant will be the female.( Did i get that right reefrunner?) HTH!

Old 08-12-2003, 09:53 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
good post Devan!
Old 08-12-2003, 11:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to atif
thanks devan ... he does move towards the overflow box at night -- but he seems to be a fish that moves about a bit. i think the tank is approx 35G's, it was custom built for the space.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks Hara!! I guess I am learning something in here!!!!

Tags
sleep

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com