Slime? over live rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cthie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just added 30 pounds of live rock to my new 29 gallon tank. The next day there is a transparent bulge of "stuff" over most of the rocks. It looks almost like a spider web or clearish mass of jelly. Is this part of a natural die-off when starting to cycle. I definitely got an ammonia spike with the addition of the live rock. Is there anything that I need to do, or is this normal?

Im pretty sure that is normal when cycling the LR Although i did not experience any (that i noticed) when curing mine. Somone please correct me if im wrong here! :wink:

What you have is in fact die off on your new rock, which is what has caused the ammonia spike. Make sure you have good water circulation and a good protein skimmer. With uncurred live rock this is not unusual. Frequent water changes should also help keep the ammonia to a minimum during the cureing process (the better you can maintain the water quality the more organisms you will have survive). To light or not to light seems a topic of debate from my experience...I'll leave that part to someone else. The other key factor....Patience. Don't try to add anything else until your rock has fully cured...Patience is a virtue here.

Back
Top Bottom