Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Slowly moving towards a reef tank.

I have been slowly gearing towards going full reef... My question is what I should do to modify my setup...

I have 90 gallon with corner overflow. Wet/dry trickle with about 10 gallons of water at its operating level. I am going to remove the bio balls slowly...
Oceanic Model 6 skimmer (doesnt seem to be making much skimate, it is plumbed externaly. I also have a 10g refugium that is plumbed with a 300 gph powerhead and a 1" overflow. Iwaki return pump. The tank has about 100-120lbs of live rock in it.

I was planning on changing out the wet/dry for a sump but I cant find one that incorporates a refugium and I didnt want to drill it to accept my overflow refugium...

What should I do? What would you guys do?

90 gallon FOWLR 45gallong sump with Oceanic #6 skimmer. Iwaki return pump. Koralia 4 and two 300 gph powerheads.
kgriffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Also if you are going reef what type lighting do you have? Let me think about the plumbing.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I am a little confused, do you have a built in overflow or it it a hang-on back? How many overflows do you have?
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

I am sure many people will disagree with me, however I don't think you need a refugium. There are many successful reef tanks out there without refugiums. So in my opinion don't be too concerned if you can't find a sump that incorporates a refugium. But if you can, then great get it and typically put the refugium in the middle chamber. So you will have skimmer in the first chamber-fuge-return pump.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
Also if you are going reef what type lighting do you have? Let me think about the plumbing.
Currently I am running 4 110 vho's on an icecap 660
90 gallon FOWLR 45gallong sump with Oceanic #6 skimmer. Iwaki return pump. Koralia 4 and two 300 gph powerheads.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
I am a little confused, do you have a built in overflow or it it a hang-on back? How many overflows do you have?
I have one corner overflow it is drilled
Old 03-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Ahhhh a drilled overflow makes things so much simpler. If the wet/dry currently only holds a maximum of 10g of water then I would purchase a glass 29g (30x12x18), 30 tall (24x13x24), or a 30 regular (36x12x16) depending on what can be fit and do the following layout: Sump - Model E The other option to this design is: overflow feed -> skimmer -> baffles -> refugiuim -> baffles -> return pump. Of course, all depends on what kind of wet/dry you have size-wise.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgriffith View Post
Currently I am running 4 110 vho's on an icecap 660
That`s good. I run 4 VHO bulbs also. Mine are 160 watt and 6 ft long.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think I am going to stick with what I have for now. I am in the process or removing the bio-balls and am going to replace them with live rock rubble. I figure that coupled with the 10 g refugium should keep my nitrates down. I am at 20 now and am going to do another water change mid week. I only added the refugium 2 days ago, how long before it brings down my nitrates in your experience?

Last but not least I am going to the lfs tommorow, could you recommend some good corals for me to get? I have a green acro that has seen better days(came to me in bad shape and my flameangel likes to eat it, flame is gone tommorow) I have a finger leather, nice big zoos and a small bta

Tags
moving, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com