Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2006, 02:47 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree w/Cindy. My damsels stressed my Royal Gramma to death. They are colorful and great starter fish, but IME, they are aggresive little buggers. My LFS doesn't do trade ins, but, once I am ready, I will take them back (unless someone nearby would like them) and return them, so I can restock with what I really want.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:25 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well I understand you our LFS to don’t accept returns on live specimens, most of our LFS do that it sad to hear but that’s the rule of their store.

Well old and new fish do go up and down on side of the aquarium well I don’t know exactly why they do that IMO because of the temp. But I’m not sure well that’s ok! But if you like to miniatures your fish you can do that.

Old 05-13-2006, 12:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, when I bought it, I asked them if they'd take it back when it gets big and they said they would... that's all wanted just to have it for a while.. I had no idea it swims around so much... it was sitting around a lot in the store..

I raised the temp and it's almost feeling good now... it ate a lot and the damsel really doesn't seem to care much any more..

Will clownfish get along with Damsels usually? Most LFS I been to have clownfish and damsels in the same tank..
Old 05-13-2006, 02:04 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro_Boy_To
I doubt any LFS will take him.. I dont know how any of them work though.. is it a common thing for them to take fish or no?

I'd assume they're scared of getting a fish with problems... but I dont know...
Quote:
Well, when I bought it, I asked them if they'd take it back when it gets big and they said they would... that's all wanted just to have it for a while.. I had no idea it swims around so much... it was sitting around a lot in the store..
Your statements are somewhat contradictory. So in essence, you just wanted to rent the fish for a month or two. Just a FYI. Every move these fish have to make causes stress and lowers their immune system. This makes them more susceptible to disease, parasites, etc. Your tank isn't the right environment for this fish just in size alone regardless of the inhabitants. This too will stress the tang eventually even if the damsel has all of a sudden got a conscience. This momentary truce may or may not last. I hope it does but I'd be very watchful.
Clownfish are damsels and can be aggressive as well(not always). It may or may not have problems with the existing fish but would stand a better chance than a tiny baby tang. It is also better suited for the size tank. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

He said he'd take it back, but when I called just after I got it, he said he wouldn't and I should keep it because my tank is big enough..

I think he meant he'd take it back without any refund.. doesn't matter to me though, I don't like watching him go crazy..and I believe you when you say it's too small for him... I should've realized it at first.. Just looked really cool to have one.

Oh well, you live you learn.. poor fishy though.. I'll get him back soon, hopefully he'll be happy back to his home.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
He said he'd take it back, but when I called just after I got it, he said he wouldn't and I should keep it because my tank is big enough..

I think he meant he'd take it back without any refund.. doesn't matter to me though, I don't like watching him go crazy..and I believe you when you say it's too small for him... I should've realized it at first.. Just looked really cool to have one.

Oh well, you live you learn.. poor fishy though.. I'll get him back soon, hopefully he'll be happy back to his home.
Ugh, I love stores like that (read sarcastically). It's just bad business. Not that they don't take returns but that the info isn't consistent. You can't make up the rules as you go along.

It is an incredibly beautiful fish. Props to you for doing the right thing.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:41 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well I had no choice really.. I don't want a fish going up and down the side.. The guy still never admitted he was wrong and was pretty uptight about it, but he took him back and gave me almost all my money back towards a clown.

This clown is SOO laid back.. and he doesn't seem to know how to hide ... seems a bit weird.. I hope he's ok.. probably tank raised?

He has never gone through the rocks yet..

He swims very slowly around.. gets very little excitement when fed, then barely moves around..and doesn't get scared when I move around the tank or put my hand in to get some water for testing. The kind of fish I want

He got got jittery when I turned off the light, but then went right back to his calm self.

good news is the damsel never attacked him.. But I think just hanging around him causes him a bit of stress.. although they swam by each other with no problems plenty of times, and the damsel didn't even raise it's fin.

I hope to see his energy level improve a bit tomorrow.. he's seems a bit too lazy to move.. and he's pretty fat too..
Old 05-14-2006, 01:50 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Ur clown is not wierd. That's just how clownfish are lol. They don't swim around and explore stuff XD I dont think my clowns even noticed the anemone i added for them 2 weeks ago lol

Tags
small aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com