Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2006, 09:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Small fish, small aquarium?

Hello,

I have a 29g tank and I really wanted a tang..

I didn't do my homework on this and got a clown tang, because that was the only one they had that was small.

He's about an inch long.. the guy at the LFS said it's ok to keep him for a while in my 29g until he gets 3 times his size(I just planned on twice)..

My cornern now is keeping him at all.. he seems to be looking for more room to swim around and goes up and down on side of the aquarium.

So the question is.. does his size matter on how big of a tank he needs as the LFS guy said.. or do all of them need a big tank?

Old 05-11-2006, 09:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tangs are very active swimmers, even at a small size. I'd return the fish.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ah, the lfs guy said no returns...

looks like I might have to put him up in the newspaper or try another lfs..
he definitely is VERY active and wants to swim around a lot, but it takes him a second to go from one side to another of the aquarium...

Anybody in Toronto who wants him?..
Old 05-11-2006, 10:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I will take him. That tang will also grow really fast at first. Doubling his size will not take long. May want to check out a dif LFS. He will obviouslt tell you anything to make a dollar.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

You're in NC.. lol..

I doubt any LFS will take him.. I dont know how any of them work though.. is it a common thing for them to take fish or no?

I'd assume they're scared of getting a fish with problems... but I dont know...

About how long does it take to double his size? LFS guy told me I can keep him for two years!... hmmm..
Old 05-12-2006, 11:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok,
it seems he's going up and down the side of the auqarium because the damsel that was in my tank is stressing him out...

the damsel is yellow tailed and is smaller than him, but it keeps charging him and turning at the last second, and follows him everywhere.. they never hit each other physically but it's like stalking him...

does it take time for them to get used to each other, or if it's a no go in the first and second day it will alwyas be like that?
Old 05-12-2006, 12:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The damsel will charge fish many times its size, probably not a good idea to keep together. You could keep some blue green chromis with it though.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Can you move around your LR to break up the damsel's territory? I have heard you can take out the aggresive fish (not sure for how long), and put it back in and it will be the "new" fish...

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

well, i totally re-organized the rock..
lets hope it helps..

update: seems to have made the clown tang even more jittery.. now he's going up and down in one corner at a even faster pace

this is not looking good...
Old 05-12-2006, 02:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is gonna sound a bit harsh but I think it needs to be said in hopes that others will learn from it. What you are saying is, you bought a fish that the lfs warned you would get to large for your tank and with a no return policy? I'm sorry but that was very irresponsible. Even without doing your homework, you were aware that the tang was gonna outgrow the tank and was not well suited for your 29ga so you can't blame this on the lfs. Even if they said it could live there temporarily, you made the decision to buy an inappropriate fish.
Moving the rock around may help temporarily but the damsel will probably end up stressing the tang to the point of no return. It's what they do. They are aggressive and in such a small tank with being already established in that tank, I doubt moving the rock will be a long term fix. Again, I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but it's up to us to do the best thing for our charges. It's up to us to show restraint and be realistic and responsible with our purchases. Buying something like a clown tang, (or any fish really) that you know nothing about just because it was the only small one there, with warnings from said lfs that it will outgrow the tank eventually is just bad fishkeeping. What were you planning to do with it if you can't return it? Do the right thing for this fish. The tang needs to be returned or given to someone with a system to support it. Clown tangs aren't the easiest of fish to keep even in a proper system. There has to be a lfs that will take it. You may not get a refund or store credit but I don't know many lfs that won't take a free healthy fish. Chalk this up to a learning experience and carry this with you when you purchase your next fish. Hopefully it will help you to make better decisions in the future. With damsels in the tank already established, adding other fish is always going to be risky. Perhaps the addition of some ornamental inverts would be a good idea instead. Good luck.

Tags
small aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com