Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer View Post
You don't need to install it anywhere if u don't wanna...I use mine then put it away after...

Attachment 132247
With 3 kids in the house, I couldn't get away with taking over a bathroom, though I could do an in/out setup in the laundry room.

Thanks for all the insight, everyone

Edit to add: I'm guessing you don't heave 5 gallon buckets over your shoulder to dump the water in (bad for the tank and your back)...I haven't seen any submersible pumps that look like they'd fit the bill...most of the ones I've seen wouldn't be able to pump up 4+ft to go over the tank lip...any suggestions?

Old 11-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I hooked mine in the laundry room. Bought a t fitting and hooked into the water for the washer. Put a 35 gallon trash can for the clean water and use the waste water to fill the washer or you can just run if down the drain.

One thing to note is that the waste water comes out faster than the pure. Most units are 4;1 or 5:1 ratio. This means for every gallon of clean water it produces 4-5 of waste. Now by waste doesn't mean it's bad but not pure for the aquarium.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chbix View Post
One thing to note is that the waste water comes out faster than the pure. Most units are 4;1 or 5:1 ratio. This means for every gallon of clean water it produces 4-5 of waste. Now by waste doesn't mean it's bad but not pure for the aquarium.
Yeah, I've seen that; a big turn-off for me (uber high water bills for weekly 25% water changes). I'll have to figure out what to do with the waste. I'm guessing it's still good enough to drink (or does it have higher concentrations of impurities than tap would have?). Failing that, I could use it to water my rose garden.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I bought the adapter that screws into the faucet. I put the system in the tub with the bucket to collect the RO/DI, then put it away when I dont need it.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
With 3 kids in the house, I couldn't get away with taking over a bathroom, though I could do an in/out setup in the laundry room.

Thanks for all the insight, everyone

Edit to add: I'm guessing you don't heave 5 gallon buckets over your shoulder to dump the water in (bad for the tank and your back)...I haven't seen any submersible pumps that look like they'd fit the bill...most of the ones I've seen wouldn't be able to pump up 4+ft to go over the tank lip...any suggestions?
I have a small pump that pumps the water into the sump, then I turn on the return pump to fill the main tank. I have a bad back and this is the laziest... err... I mean EASIEST way for me to refill the tank. I even have one of those rolling planter stands with a piece of rope to move it through the house so I dont have to carry it. I just have to put the lid on so I dont make the wife mad from sloshing.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Rose garden would work...laundry, I don't drink it but not sure how "bad" it is...figured it can't be worse than tap water.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chbix
Rose garden would work...laundry, I don't drink it but not sure how "bad" it is...figured it can't be worse than tap water.
If I could figure out how to plumb it to the washer, I would. From a monetary standpoint, it would only cost me about $20/yr, but I hate to waste all that water.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Basically mine had a screw on adapter...it's the same ad a hose connection. I got a spliter and Hooked it up to the cold water next to the washer. One for washer one for Ro/di. They have on off valves for each one so you can shut off the Ro/di. I just put
The waste water hose into the washer when I'm making ro/di
Old 11-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chbix View Post
Basically mine had a screw on adapter...it's the same ad a hose connection. I got a spliter and Hooked it up to the cold water next to the washer. One for washer one for Ro/di. They have on off valves for each one so you can shut off the Ro/di. I just put
The waste water hose into the washer when I'm making ro/di
The adapter is for the input to the RODI, I'm trying to figure out what to do with the flush water, and how to connect it to something that my washer can use (a pressurized tank?). From a dollar standpoint, it's trivial, but I feel bad about wasting it all.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

My waste water isn't plumbed into anything. I just put the waste water tube into the washing machine tub when I'm making water. When either the container of good water or washing machine tub is full I turn off the Ro/di. When it's time to wash clothes I just remove the waste water tube.

Tags
fowlr, ro/di, small, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com