Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Small Tank

Hello everyone. Recently I have been thinking of buying a 1-2 gallon mini cube. I saw them at my local pet store and thought it'd be a neat project. I have only ever worked with freshwater tanks and have been considering saltwater for some time. What are your thoughts on a saltwater tank this small? Could I get away with housing a single clownfish in it, as I haven't quite undertood how they work - is an anemone required?
Thanks, sorry for the newbie questions hehe

Old 11-04-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I would not begin any smaller than a 20g if you have no experience in saltwater. Although I do not believe all of the reasoning's behind "bigger is better," it is a fair recommendation towards a learning curve. In a 2g you could only house a very small goby and a piece of coral fragment or two (I assume this is what you meant by plant).

Old 11-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Would coral be necesarry, or can saltwater fish be alright in a somewhat bare tank?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I would have liverock for biological filtration and a small filter at least for water movement and to filter particulates, but no coral isn't necessary. A shallow amount of sand can also be added for aesthetics.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ahh ok, so for a tank this small just a piece or so would be alright?
Old 11-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree with James. Go with a 20G for starters, a clown will not be happy in a 2 G tank. I think you will feel a lot more rewarded looking at your 1st 20 with a few fish as opposed to a tiny 2 G with a very small goby, that may or may not hide all the time....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

i dont see why people try to keep fish in such a small area yes it looks nice but there is not much room to swim, i have a 20 gallon w/ just 2 fish and i feel they need more room to swim. but if i where to have a tank that was two gallons, i would just keep some polyp corals or some type of mat to grow on a center piece rock along w/ a couple of snails and an emerald crab. if i had to put in a fish it would be a yellow clown goby.

i like to feed my emeralds seaweed and i like watching them eat, and yellow clow gobies are tiny and its how they purch up on the walls and rock work.

the neat thing about having a smaller tank is that the required light system for coral is alot cheaper then for a larger tank.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Go with a bigger tank. A tank that size is not a good idea.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the advice guys, I really wasn't sure if it was acceptable to do this or not, At my local pet shop they keep the marine fish in fairly small containers with maybe a piece of coral each and I was wondering if I could replicate that. The more I think about it the more I want a larger tank for saltwater fish, I am jsut kinda scared to try and set one up as I dont know what the equipment differences are compared to a freshwater tank and if I have enough money to get things rolling.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

IMO your going to end up with a bigger tank in the long run so why not go big now... i started with a 29 and moved to a 120 within 6 months.

Tags
small tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com