Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2003, 03:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Small water changes during cycling??

Is it a good thing to do small water changes while the tank is cycling or better to wait?

Thanks

Old 08-11-2003, 03:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think doing water changes while the tank is cycling would be defeating the purpose of the cycle. The idea is to get the amonia levels to spike in the tank during the curing process. I would think that by doing water changes, you would be lowering the levels in the tank. Wait untill after the tank has cycled to do your changes. I let my tank cycle and didn't do a water change for a few weeks after i had added my fish. Now, im not sure if that was the best idea, but it had no adverse affects on the fish. Someone please correct me if im wrong here!

Old 08-11-2003, 08:14 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Are you cycling with uncured LR? If not, then no water changes durng the cycle, it will only prolong the cycle and make for a weaker bacteria population. I you are cycling with uncured LR and that is to be your biological filter...I do recommend water changes

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 09:52 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
This is a highly debated subject.

If your cycling with fish then you are obligated to keep the ammonia levels at a managable level out of interest of the fish's health.

If your cycling with live rock then you can do one of two things. You can not do any water changes reguarless of what the ammonia levels get to. Doing such will vastly increase the amount of die off and lower the amount of hitchhikers you get on your live rock that survive the cycle. Doing water changes to maintain a managble level of ammonia and nitrite will prolong the curing process some but it will also increase the amount of life remaining on the rock when your done the cycle.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 12:15 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

To show the debatability of this subject...

Quote:
Doing water changes to maintain a managble level of ammonia and nitrite will prolong the curing process some but it will also increase the amount of life remaining on the rock when your done the cycle
I disagree with this statement. If your curing LR, water changes will shorten the cycle time. The high ammonia levels will also kill beneficial bacteria, IMO, the bacterias are still present, even on uncured rock, they are simply weakened and overwhelmed by the die off. Keeping the ammonia levels low by way of waterchanges allows more of these bacterias to survive and reproduce more quickly than if no water changes were done

Old 08-11-2003, 02:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I didn't do any water changes with my LR....is that why i haven't seen any hitch hickers yet? or does it take time? Its been running for almost 2 months
Old 08-11-2003, 04:23 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Could be, it also could be that there wasn't much to begin with

Old 08-11-2003, 05:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks alot fellas!!!
Old 08-11-2003, 07:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Now I am leary. Help me out here because I start my first tank this week and don't know if I should or should not do a water change and if so how much of a water change for a 55g tank 70 pound of live rock and 4 inch DSB. It makes sense to do some sort of water change so that you do not kill off any life that may later prove beneficial.

Do I add the live sand on day one?

Please Help
Old 08-12-2003, 08:08 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Well how much and how often to do a water change is based really upon personal preference and your ammonia readings.

Lets say I am you. And my ammonia readings never get above .5 then i might elect to not do a water change at all. Now lets say my ammonia gets to 1.0 in a very short time period. I might elect to do a 20% water change and test my ammonia the following day. If its still 1.0 I might monitor it and see if its going to climb or fall. If it continues to climb i might do another water change.

The above holds if your concerned about keeping a fair amount of live on your live rock and your curing your live rock as your cycle. If you dont really care about the life on the rock then you very well might just let the rock do its thing.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com