Smallest possible sw tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkdubs2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Was thinking of making my first sw tank. I have a spare 10g tank laying around. Is there anything I can do with it to make a sw tank? And would there be any stocking options for it? It was formally a planted freshwater tank. I was curious bc I know sw is expensive and I want to keep it fairly cheap so I figured I'd go small. Is this plausible?

Possible, yes. Easy, no. A 10 gallon is extremely limiting. Very few fish can survive long term in such a small tank, and you'd be limited to just a couple. Also, water parameters can swing a lot in such a small water volume. But, if you are able to keep on top of it and keep parameters stable, you could do a killer invert tank. A few corals, shrimp, crabs, feather duster worms, snails, hermit crabs, and maybe a goby/pistol combo.

No such thing as a cheap sw tank. I went the more modest approach and bought a used drilled 55 gallon that I had to redo the plumbing but had the pump sump and lights. My light fixture has since blown up and I needed the million other things including a skimmer. I also bought dry rock with some premium (9 lbs) live rock. I currently have 9 crabs, 7 snails and 2 clownfish. I've spent well over $1500. If your in a budget don't waste your time. Sorry just honest

Well, that's not entirely true. A tank with no photosynthetic animals doesn't need fancy lighting. A small tank doesn't necessarily need a skimmer. Etc etc.
I also, in high school, created a Puget Sound Biotope tank that was next to free. Kept it outside, even. There are ways to do it on a budget. BUT...
if you don't want it to be frustrating and disappointing, get a bigger tank. Watch craigslist. I got a 55 for free, with stand.

Budget plus smallest tank after spending 10 minutes of research will tell you it's not a good idea and your setting yourself up for failure. I feel these fish are pets and if you are going into it on a budget your not a responsible pet owner. Sorry yet again. If I were you I'd save money and get a set up that will allow you the best chance at success by only for your enjoyment but for your future pets

Umm... we're all on a budget. OP wanted to make it as cheap as possible. That's not saying "I've got ten bucks. Let's do a reef tank!"
A responsible pet owner is someone who works within his or her budget. To say having a budget makes you an irresponsible pet owner is a pretty far reaching statement.
So rather than vague "Yes it's possible" or "It'll never work!" how about we do a cost breakdown and figure out what falls within the budget?

jkdubs2, you have a tank. Though I'd go bigger if possible. It was a planted tank, so I hope you have better than the standard fluorescent light.
Substrate: A bag of aragonite sand will be 10-20 bucks, depending on depth desired. For such a small tank, I'd go shallow. Maybe 5-10 lbs.
Rock: You will need at least 10 lbs of LR, 15 is preferable. Figure $5-6 per lb, or petco sells aquacultured (manufactured) rock by size, and you can sometimes find a "medium" for $20 that is up to 5 lbs. Let's estimate high, and say $70 for rock.
Salt Mix: $20 will keep you salted for quite a while.
Water: Tap water is not a good choice. I use Glacier water from the grocery store. 35 cents/gallon. So, $3.50 initial, and then a couple bucks every week.
Powerheads, heater, etc: Figure on $70-75 for such a small tank.
Let's say two fish. One being a neon goby ($10-15) and the other being a watchman Goby ($15-30) to pair with a Pistol shrimp ($15-30)
Snails, hermits, etc. Figure $10 bucks.
If your lighting is better than the standard (T8), you could get some soft corals (Mushrooms, zoanthids, leathers) and even some low light LPS corals. If it's the standard, you *might* be ok with just some softies. Or go FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock). Figure at least $100-150 if you want corals at all.
So, Here's the breakdown so far.
Roughly $180 for equipment
$50-75 for fish and inverts
If you want corals, another $100-150.
Remember that there will be costs for water, salt, food, etc as time goes on. Is this within your budget? This is what i would call bare minimum.

I think stating "we are all on a budget" is also a far reaching statement! But none the less the point is it is expensive and your setting yourself up for heartache by doing a small tank. End of story. The only good thing Is the few hundred dollars spent on you "trying" to do the tank wont be near as depressing when you throw it all in the trash once the tank crashes! Just my 2 cents. Sorry to seem like a negative nancy but it's the truth and yes I do feel it is irresponsible to put animals in a not healthy environment due to a budget. I was a vet tech for 4 years and I can't tell you how many times I saw people bring in puppies they spent $2000 on but were on a budget and couldn't afford vaccines. Guess what their puppies got parvovirus and DIED! This example I extreme but it still a living creature who didnt asked to be places on a budget

Negative nancy isn't the phrase I'm thinking of... Nano saltwater tanks are quite popular these days, especially for people *gasp* on a budget or who move frequently, such as military members. I've seen tanks as small as 8 gallons that are well balanced, beautifully aquascaped, and very healthy.
Yes, small tanks are more difficult. But is a nano tank "setting yourself up for heartache"? Find a nano tank forum and ask there.
As for the budget statement being far reaching... Are you trying to say that you can afford to set up a swimming pool sized reef tank in your home? Perhaps build an addition to accommodate it? Even Bill gates has a budget. It's just different than mine.
So, Back on topic here...
jkdubs2, based on the conservative numbers I provided, do you think you can afford this? Remember, this is a slow hobby, and the cost will be spread out. Sand, water, salt, and rock first. Then as much as two months before fish (though usually much less). If you think you can manage this and provide proper care, then go for it! There are lots of people on this forum with nano tanks who can offer advice, and numerous threads on the topic.
If it sounds like too much, maybe consider a different direction for the spare tank.

I will be sure to send you a copy of my w2 for the year and you can decide how about that! :eek:). Pm my your address

Also whomever this person is asked for an opinion and I gave mine and have since offended you for whatever reason. I just know how hard it is to maintain and afford a decent sized tank being new to the hobby couldn't imagine anything smaller. Good luck!

I really don't care how much you make. It has zero bearing on my life or my opinions. Stay on topic, please. This is forum about setting up a nano tank on a budget, not a chat room. My first tank was a 20, and it did quite well.

Also affording a pool sized reef build and wanting one has nothing to do with a budget FYI. Even the rich whom can afford a pool sized tank probably don't want one. Has nothing to do with budget

Ok folks. Lets remain civil and remember that everyone has an opinion and experiences and they have the right to post them. It`s up to the OP to decide which ones he wants to use. Anyone else have any info that is helpful to the OP.

melosu58 said:
Ok folks. Lets remain civil and remember that everyone has an opinion and experiences and they have the right to post them. It`s up to the OP to decide which ones he wants to use. Anyone else have any info that is helpful to the OP.

Haha thanks for that I leave for a few hours and it turns into WWIII in here. I appreciate both of Luvbugg and macdracor advice. Tho I tend to see it macs way. I figure if everything is set up properly then and cared for properly the inhabitants will have a good life so long as they are right for the size tank. As far as budget I mean I am a college student and working part time for US minimum wage. I was curious about any type of DIY projects to cheapen the expense if at all possible. Such as ex. In freshwater u can use kitty litter which is just as good for substrate for plants as say Eco complete. I know if I plan on building a sw it will get pricey but I'm not buying everything in one day. But the list of needed items for a sw is appreciated Mac and it will come in handy as I'm new to sw. I appreciate both of your opinions and advice.

My two cents, It's expensive. I have two tanks, a 60 gal fowlr and a 3 gal nano. I have about 2500 invested in my 60 and about 600 in my nano. If you do this on a "budget" you probably won't be happy with the results. It's expensive, also not only plan on food and water change cost, but your electricity bill is going to double, if not more. The "negative Nancy" is more along the lines of realistic Nancy. Oh and I am about to drop another 150-200 on my nano as it is finally ready for coral and is done with it cycle.

Jmkb02 said:
My two cents, It's expensive. I have two tanks, a 60 gal fowlr and a 3 gal nano. I have about 2500 invested in my 60 and about 600 in my nano. If you do this on a "budget" you probably won't be happy with the results. It's expensive, also not only plan on food and water change cost, but your electricity bill is going to double, if not more. The "negative Nancy" is more along the lines of realistic Nancy. Oh and I am about to drop another 150-200 on my nano as it is finally ready for coral and is done with it cycle.

+1 id have to agree, with SW you really do get what you pay for mostly and it isn't cheap by any means... As long as your working with a small budget you'll always want bigger and better. I'm really not trying to put you off the hobby cause I love it and would love to see more people involved but my 46 bowfront is up to around $3k with deals on CL and everything else so you should just realize its quite the investment but well worth it IMO :)

Mrc8858 said:
+1 id have to agree, with SW you really do get what you pay for mostly and it isn't cheap by any means... As long as your working with a small budget you'll always want bigger and better. I'm really not trying to put you off the hobby cause I love it and would love to see more people involved but my 46 bowfront is up to around $3k with deals on CL and everything else so you should just realize its quite the investment but well worth it IMO :)

I won't be skimping on what needs to be bought. When I'm thinking budget I'm thinking like 500 bucks over time. Like I said I'll prolly buy everything over a 6 month period of time or longer and I might just buy a 5g tank instead of using the 10g. The sw tank is really gonna be for the gf for a present when we move in together. I'm planning on getting it set up and learning all I can about it and teaching her how to take care of it once I know myself. Maintenance costs are to be expected of course. I keep trying to get her into freshwater planted tanks but she likes the look of sw so I figure if I get her into that maybe she will let me get the 125g tank for freshwater I want when we move in together lol. It's a strategy. ;) I'm already having trouble convincing her to let me keep the 55g and 20g fw I have now lol. But what's the list of essential items for sw I need so I can start the build?

What are you planning in doing with your sw tank? reef? Lr with fish only?

Yep, knowing what you have in mind is essential to giving you a basic list.

I've kept eveything from a 4g pico up to my 125g reef so I've messed with every size. LOL It is immensely easier to work with a larger tank as a beginner setup. I started with a 29g which I found to be a perfect size. :) I now have a total of 7 tanks up and running and one in the garage thats going up this week. You don't have to go bigger but it's an option.

What about looking on craigslist for a used biocube setup? If your total budget is $500 or so that will fit in nicely. If you wanted a new cube setup then you're looking at close to the budget max with the tank, heater and stand plus live rock and sand. Theres something to be said for an all in one tank, I have a 29g cube as well and the setup is simple to say the least. the lights are included and can keep a nice selection of coral and you can fit several fish including a clown fish pair.

Just some thoughts, let us know what you have in mind for the tank.

I'm not sure what I want really. Is the fowlr setup a good setup for fish or is it better to have coral? I know smaller setups are harder to take care of but I willing to put the time in to keep it up and take care of the life in the tank. I think I'll look for an all in one 5g nano. Will it have everything but fish and lr?

Back
Top Bottom