Smelly Vanuatu Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pspiegel

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I just purchased a new 14 gallon tank to start a mini reef in. I have two other 40 other saltwater reefs and thought it would be nice to get something to work on in a smaller scale. I purchased a Nano-Cube tank with the filtration all built in and 12 pounds (two pieces) of Vanuatu Live rock with live sand.

My question is, it has been a couple of days and the live rock still smells a lot.. I don't remember my other Fiji live rock smelling this bad and I was wondering if there is something to do to help minimize the odor. I have a pack of activated charcoal that came with the tank in there so that should help a little but it really hasn't. Is this something that I just have to wait out until the tank cycles, or is there another fix? Maybe adding another pack of charcoal?

I normally wouldn't care, but I put this tank on my desk.. so it gets a bit distracting..

Thanks so much for your help in advance!

Usually a bad smell means your rock has not cured. I would go ahead and cure it while you cycle your tank. On the website articles it will tell you the best way to do that (without live fish).

will leaving it in the tank with the sand and tank running cure it successfully? I must have gotten cured rock on my other two tanks...

Also, I forget from the last time, should I be running the lights the same way I will when the fish/reef are there now, or does it matter?

NO if you dont have any livestock , you dont have to run as long. It will probably help cut down on algea in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom