Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-26-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll do that.

So I got the rest of the water into the system (filled up the sump) and tried everything out for the first time and it basically failed. The pump would push the water up into the tank and it would start to drain into the sump but the water in the overflow would keep filling up, then it would drain into the sump so fast it would get to the siphon break, then it would fill up again and drain (so on and so forth).

I'm guessing that the mag 7.5 isn't strong enough. They were using this one before but on a stand that was 1/2 this height and the added height is killing it.

Does that sound about right? It is trying to lift to about 5 feet (just measured) and that puts it at around 390 GPH whereas I have a 1" drain and I think that is around 600 gph.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Looks like a pretty good start. I really like it.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks!

On a side note... I don't know why I thought that having siphon breaks on my return line was a good idea. Too late to go get a replacement piece of PVC tonight, will have to go in the morning.

What does everyone else do? Have one of the return nozzles close to the surface and use that as the break point?
Old 06-26-2011, 10:50 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
i have one of eshopps return jets it has a syphon break on it
Old 06-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, since this was a used tank I have now discovered several hitchhikers coming out of the woodwork. I did try and remove sand but didn't get all of it. I would say I have about 4 hermit crab looking guys in pointy shells, a couple of snail looking things that stay in the sand all the time (and can only see their bottom), 3 black urchins and 2 pink urchins.

I hope they survive the cycle process. I have no idea what else may be hiding away.

Right now I'm only at .5 amm with zero nitrite and zero nitrate but I'm only into 1 full day of cycling with shrimp. Salinity is holding steady at 1.025. PH looking like 7.6.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

the PH is a little low, do you have your power heads pointed at the surface?

burrowing snails are most likely nassarius snails, they are awesome good guys
Old 06-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do have one power head hitting the surface pretty hard, I can move that down a bit.

Another question, is it normal to have a LOT of bubbles in the intake part of the sump? It seems like quite a lot. It isn't a problem because they are all getting stopped at the bubble trap but it foams up my intake and live rock section on the surface a bit.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

its common to get air bubble, but not really common to get the bubbles foaming up the chamberhow high is the plumbing above the water surface?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

It has a pretty good drop in it. This is a pre-drilled tank so the drain is going to be at the top water level as normal, then it drops another 6" below the bottom of the tank, then I have it going to the left 2' 4" and then a 90 elbow and another 2' 4" or so drop into the intake section. That distance puts the exit about 2-3" from the bottom of the intake section of the sump that is 13.5" deep. Here are two pictures:

Old 06-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, so here is an updated FTS. Still cloudy from moving the rock around yesterday and adding the live rock. The pump in the middle isn't doing anything but holding down a back with shrimp for the fishless cycle.

The next one I'm really concerned about. I think I may need to re-plumb my drain. It is putting a LOT, and I mean a LOT of bubbles into the sump and the only thing I can think of is that I have an almost 2.5' drop into the sump. I can re-plumb it so that it has more of a drop from the drain in the tank, or easier would be to put in a "step" so to speak so that it drops from the top of the tank to about 6" under, then has a horizontal run of a couple inches, then another 12" drop, then over to where I want it in the sump and then the final drop into the intake. Confussing?

Here you can see all the bubbles:

EDIT: Another thought would be to put a 180 bend at the bottom of the return and see if that helps any... not sure if that would help or hurt.

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com