Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

I thought at first the water was cloudy from moving the rocks around but I was wrong. That isn't sediment in the water, those are micro bubbles. I've checked all the fittings on the return side and everything is tight but I still have micro bubbles on the return.

One problem after another... and I still don't even have any fish.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The 180 elbow should help in terms of the massive amounts of bubbles. Or possibly slip on a 3 inch rubber tubing to close the distance

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well... when trying to remove the drain to my sump to try and add something to fix the horrible bubbles I slipped on the wet floor, lost my balance and cause my drain pipes to hit one of the glass baffles in the sump really hard. Cracked it in 4 places from top to bottom.

I only had to drain 1/2 of the sump but did get the offending piece of glass out. No shards in the tank that I could find. I'm going to have to completely get all the water out of that section and dry it up in order to put in the new piece of glass, then let it sit for some time before I can get it up and running again.

On a side note, the display is crystal clear now since the return isn't putting all those micro bubbles back in. I'm temped to just leave it without a sump!

Old 07-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tonight I moved one baffle so there is a bubble trap out of the fuge and there is no over pouring baffle from the live rock section. I replaced the glass piece that was broken with a thicker one and tested the water.

I have to let the silicone dry for 24 hours or so then will put the water back in the sump and then will work on the bubble issue again.

Looks like my cycle is under way! Hard to see in the photo because I swear the colors of the tubes are darker all around so I'm looking at:
PH 8.2 (turns out I was using my FW PH and not my SW, so the reading was off)
Amm: 4
NitrIte: 1
NitrAte: 10
Sal still at 1.025
Old 07-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cycle is moving right along. Looks like I've had my Amm peak out.

Amm: 1
NitrIte: (my strip only shows to 5 and it is over that)
NitrAte: 20
Salinity: 1.025

I've had to make several changes to my sump but hopefully by tomorrow evening the silicone will be dry and I'll be done with it (fingers crossed).
Old 07-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

keep an eye on your nitirites, mine hulted on 5 ppm for 2 weeks with no ammonia and 180ppm nitrates.

theres alot of dried out coralline aglae on your power heads and overflow, should have scrapped it all off and made it look new
Old 07-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

I did scrape it all off of one of the power heads after a long soak in vinegar to kill some manjano (sp?). I was going to do a cleaning on the other one but I haven't had a chance to yet because I've been working on getting the sump running again. Perhaps I'll get to it tonight.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:20 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok i know those number, wait 2 days and do a change of water about 30% then wait lil more
Old 07-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

So looks like over the past 24 hours or do I've had a massive diatom outbreak. I'm not sure if that is good or bad during the cycle but most of my base rock is now covered in it.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

So just tested my water and it looks like my cycle is almost done!

Amm: 0
Ites: .25
Ates: Either 0 or 5

If the Ites go away I'm probably going to get some fish this weekend. I'm thinking of starting off with 3 small blue/green chromis and then after 2 weeks or so get 2 clown fish and then see how we are doing from there!

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com