Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

So, tested last night and it was Amm: 0, Ites: 0, and Ates: 20, Sal: 1.025, pH: 8.2 so it looks like I'm cycled!

Went to the store and bought 3 really small chromis (at most 1" with the tail) and all I can say is that 3 really small chromis can hide REALLY well in a 90g tank with 160+ lbs of live rock. I have found 2 this morning popping up but can't find the 3rd at all.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh NO! Mantis Attack! News at 11...

Ok, so I figured out why I haven't seen my shrimp in several days, and why I keep finding hermit crab shells with holes in them... I have a confirmed mantis in my tank as a hitchhiker. I got several good looks at him when he jumped out of the rock trying to take out my new wrasse. He is dull colored (with blue legs) and about 1.5" long.

In my effort to catch him I'm pretty sure I got the rock he went an hid in and I put it into the fuge section of my sump. I didn't want to risk leaving that rock in the tank if he was actually in it... but I can not find him on the rock as it has a lot of holes. It is also one of my premium pieces of live rock with a lot of life on it so I really don't want it in my sump for long.

Now to try and make a mantis trap and HOPE that I can catch this guy. If I can catch him I'll take him to the LFS.

Any thoughts on mantis traps?

Old 08-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

So here is a quick update. Not a whole lot has changed. I still have 3 chromis swimming around. I did have a 6 line wrasse that looked to be in really good shape but I haven't seen him for 2 days so don't know what is up with him. I'm ready to get more fish but I really wanted a pair of clown fish and haven't found any that I really like yet... may have to get something else instead like some dart fish or cardinals.

So here are a couple updated photos. First is the hood that I finished building today. Still need to paint it and stain it:

Then I have my zenias:

My wonderful hammer coral:

My I'm not sure what kind of coral but it is fun to watch waving around:

And the updated FTS:

All the base rock is really turning purple. I am now starting to get green algae along the bottom of the glass by the sand bed and I'm not sure what is going on with it... pretty tough stuff too.

The only things I'm currently worried about are what look like star fish arms that are really long that I see sticking out of the rock. Many are light grey/dark grey banded but one is red with some white on it. I never see the star fish, just the arms reaching out, plus they are in the back of the tank so getting a good picture is hard. I've left them alone for now and hope they aren't a problem.

Thanks for looking!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:39 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
why is everyone a freakin carpenter but me i couldnt build a piece of toast lol

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com