Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fox face will shed bits of their skin. Could it have come from your fox face? Sometimes my fox face will swim really fast until the loose skin comes off and then my other fish will sometimes eat it. But it does look like little veils floating around

Old 10-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrymurray View Post
Fox face will shed bits of their skin. Could it have come from your fox face? Sometimes my fox face will swim really fast until the loose skin comes off and then my other fish will sometimes eat it. But it does look like little veils floating around
Fish shed??? Is that just a foxface thing? I've never heard of that!

Could've been him I guess. I didn't see where it came from. That's interesting information lol

Old 10-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrymurray View Post
Mine got caught by my anemone within the first 15 mins in the tank .
He had huge burns all down his sides .
I thought it was from that anyways .
Maybe it was skin shedding .
Is this related to stress ?
Old 10-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just googled it. Apparently rabbitfish shed their mucous layer or "cuticle" often, sometimes once a day. Lion fish also do this. Learn something new everyday in this hobby!! I will have to keep a close eye on him to figure out who is making this mess!

Just got home from work & tested my water ammonia level is zero again!

Seems like every time I think I've got a hold of what I'm doing with my fish tank it throws me a curveball haha.

Thanks again!!
Old 10-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoles_b View Post
Just googled it. Apparently rabbitfish shed their mucous layer or "cuticle" often, sometimes once a day. Lion fish also do this. Learn something new everyday in this hobby!! I will have to keep a close eye on him to figure out who is making this mess! Just got home from work & tested my water ammonia level is zero again! Seems like every time I think I've got a hold of what I'm doing with my fish tank it throws me a curveball haha. Thanks again!!
I'm still trying to figure out I have 10 fish in my 75gal
3) clown fish
1) 12" ritteri anemone
1) sand sifting goby
1) cleaner wrasse
1) yellow wrasse
1) kole tang
1) orange shoulder tang
1) powder blue tang
And the new one spot Foxface
After putting the Foxface in my ammonia never moved from 0
It's kinda surprising cause only 2 weeks before that I just put in another 40 lbs or rock I cycled in a storage tote .
How is it my smaller tank with more occupants and a higher bio load didn't change with the addition of the same fish ?
My Foxface is almost 5" long
Old 10-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

My guess is my smaller bioload. With the addition of the foxface(only messy eater and avid pooper in my tank) my small bacteria colony had to grow large enough to support it.

Isn't that the point in just adding one fish every few weeks? To build up a bioload? Remember my tank is fairly new, only been up and running for 5 1/2 months. And I am taking things very slow as I really want to do things right the first time around.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
My guess is my smaller bioload. With the addition of the foxface(only messy eater and avid pooper in my tank) my small bacteria colony had to grow large enough to support it. Isn't that the point in just adding one fish every few weeks? To build up a bioload? Remember my tank is fairly new, only been up and running for 5 1/2 months. And I am taking things very slow as I really want to do things right the first time around.
I meant to add that my understanding of BB is you only have as much in your tank as you need. As you add fish or take out, the Level of BB in your tank will fluctuate. Having so many fish in your tank already, you already had a large enough BB colony to take care of just one more fish, be it a foxface or something smaller.

This is my first messy fish, so my BB colony had to ante up and stabilize, which it's done. I hope this helps.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
My guess is my smaller bioload. With the addition of the foxface(only messy eater and avid pooper in my tank) my small bacteria colony had to grow large enough to support it. Isn't that the point in just adding one fish every few weeks? To build up a bioload? Remember my tank is fairly new, only been up and running for 5 1/2 months. And I am taking things very slow as I really want to do things right the first time around.
Mine has been running since end of March ,
Getting to have 2 lbs of rock per gallon was my main goal .
I'm done adding fish cause I think I might be close to stock limit .
The only reason I took the Foxface was he was free and a rescue from a 20 gal lol
I have a 7 year old daughter , I didn't want a venomous fish .
Old 10-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

2 lbs per gallon is my goal too! Almost there.. Lol. Trust me I understand I was iffy about the foxface as well. I have two boys, 4 & 6. But the stand itself is about 4 & 1/2 feet tall, & I keep the step ladder hanging from a ceiling hook in the garage. So no way they're getting their little fingers near the top of the tank for some time!

But that's what I get for taking my son to the LFS with me. "Ooh look!! That one has spines! Please mom?!!"

I'm just happy they are as interested in the hobby as I am
Old 10-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
2 lbs per gallon is my goal too! Almost there.. Lol. Trust me I understand I was iffy about the foxface as well. I have two boys, 4 & 6. But the stand itself is about 4 & 1/2 feet tall, & I keep the step ladder hanging from a ceiling hook in the garage. So no way they're getting their little fingers near the top of the tank for some time! But that's what I get for taking my son to the LFS with me. "Ooh look!! That one has spines! Please mom?!!" I'm just happy they are as interested in the hobby as I am
I have close to 130 lbs and don't thing I could squeeze much more rock without taking from swimming room .
The reason is I read a few different methods .
For filtration I am intrigued to know more about the Berlin method .
Is it only live rock , sand and a good skimmer ?
No mechanical filters ?

The vodka method for lowering nitrates .
My nitrates are at highest 10 ppm .
I don't think the Foxface would stick around to come close to fingers , he seams to be a very shy fish.
Not very aggressive at all !
Should see him eat a slice of cucumber though ,
WOW

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com