Smoke like stuff swirling around tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've come across the Berlin method doing research, don't know much about it though, sorry. maybe one day if I ever get into corals I'd consider it. But that would require upgrading my lights maybe? I don't know I got the tank used and it came with metal halide lights but I can't leave the darn white lights on for very long because even with the fans running on them it heats the entire tank up!!

I'm pretty excited about the cucumber though, thanks for the tip!! I have a FW tank with cichlids & they TEAR UP cucumber & zucchini! I will have to get a new veggie clip tomorrow and drop in some for my foxface!

I still can't get over how much he eats! Its insane lol

I've come across the Berlin method doing research, don't know much about it though, sorry. maybe one day if I ever get into corals I'd consider it. But that would require upgrading my lights maybe? I don't know I got the tank used and it came with metal halide lights but I can't leave the darn white lights on for very long because even with the fans running on them it heats the entire tank up!! I'm pretty excited about the cucumber though, thanks for the tip!! I have a FW tank with cichlids & they TEAR UP cucumber & zucchini! I will have to get a new veggie clip tomorrow and drop in some for my foxface! I still can't get over how much he eats! Its insane lol

image-2961424264.jpg

Taken today ,
I used to have a large rock in the center at the top but I had to move it a week ago after something knocked it over , thinking it was my urchin .

Attachments

• image-1255741266.jpg
    image-1255741266.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 63
  • image-1239206810.jpg
    image-1239206810.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3417852295.jpg
    image-3417852295.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 66
I've come across the Berlin method doing research, don't know much about it though, sorry. maybe one day if I ever get into corals I'd consider it. But that would require upgrading my lights maybe? I don't know I got the tank used and it came with metal halide lights but I can't leave the darn white lights on for very long because even with the fans running on them it heats the entire tank up!! I'm pretty excited about the cucumber though, thanks for the tip!! I have a FW tank with cichlids & they TEAR UP cucumber & zucchini! I will have to get a new veggie clip tomorrow and drop in some for my foxface! I still can't get over how much he eats! Its insane lol

What do you have for lights ? Only the MH ?
I have seen them run with fluorescents .
Keep the fluorescents on and only have the MH on for a few hours a day .
I have T5 HO 6 bulb fixture

Wow, very nice!! I want a anemone so bad, but I don't have the means to support its needs. I could get a timer for my lights for cheap, but I'd have to get a chiller as well, & Christmas is too close to be spending that kind of money on myself!! One day... :)

When I first set my tank up I put a DSB in, spent about $300 in sand alone. Weeks down the road after my cycle no matter how many water changes I did my nitrates kept climbing. Come to find out, the sand I had gotten was too large of a grain so it was just a nitrate factory. I've got two 5 gallon buckets full of sand in my garage I can't do anything with! So frustrating.

I do plan on getting some finer sand because I love the idea of having an active sandbed!

I have to keep telling myself one thing at a time! Slow is good. But I am not a patient person lol.

I can't wait until my tank is as beautiful as yours!

What do you have for lights ? Only the MH ? I have seen them run with fluorescents . Keep the fluorescents on and only have the MH on for a few hours a day . I have T5 HO 6 bulb fixture

I honestly don't know. The blue lights which don't heat up the tank I'm currently running all day. The white lights are ridiculous. Literally leaving them on for one hour will raise the tanks temperature 1 & 1/2 degrees. Too big of a swing in a very little amount of time.

My guess is that's why I have basically no algae. But I'm not complaining lol.

I just wish my tank wasn't always blue.

Wow, very nice!! I want a anemone so bad, but I don't have the means to support its needs. I could get a timer for my lights for cheap, but I'd have to get a chiller as well, & Christmas is too close to be spending that kind of money on myself!! One day... :) When I first set my tank up I put a DSB in, spent about $300 in sand alone. Weeks down the road after my cycle no matter how many water changes I did my nitrates kept climbing. Come to find out, the sand I had gotten was too large of a grain so it was just a nitrate factory. I've got two 5 gallon buckets full of sand in my garage I can't do anything with! So frustrating. I do plan on getting some finer sand because I love the idea of having an active sandbed! I have to keep telling myself one thing at a time! Slow is good. But I am not a patient person lol. I can't wait until my tank is as beautiful as yours!

I want more colorful corals ,
Coralline algae has covered everything , with pink and purples ,
I have little algae I think it's cause of the 3 tangs ( that shouldn't all be together in a 75 ) and now another algae eater ( Foxface )
He is a ugly fish lmao .
I think you could support corals with the lights you have ,
Research how much bright light they need and for how long per day ,
As for timers , I got mine cheap $20 at the hardware store

I honestly don't know. The blue lights which don't heat up the tank I'm currently running all day. The white lights are ridiculous. Literally leaving them on for one hour will raise the tanks temperature 1 & 1/2 degrees. Too big of a swing in a very little amount of time. My guess is that's why I have basically no algae. But I'm not complaining lol. I just wish my tank wasn't always blue.
My tank is only blue for 1 hour before and 1 hour after the brights .
I don't like the blue .
I want to get a pink bulb .
Apparently it is beneficial for corals but I will have to read on that before making the decision.

A few photos, one of my foxface in full camo, one of him out swimming, my lights (not sure if you can tell what they are, I'm sure I need to buy new bulbs for it) and one of the tank, lights out. Don't mind my aquascape... I actually knocked over half my rocks trying to do a big water change the other day lol. I went out and bought some more small PVC pipe and a new drill bit. That is my next project...

Attachments

• image-3123831354.jpg
    image-3123831354.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 73
  • image-1626649821.jpg
    image-1626649821.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 76
  • image-1249752115.jpg
    image-1249752115.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 83
  • image-3852795941.jpg
    image-3852795941.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 114
Your Foxface looks much nicer then mine ,
It's spot is more defined to be just a spot ,
Mine is a spot and a blur lol
The lights , we know you have a MH in the center ,
The outside I'm not sure if they are regular fluorescent or T5 bulbs , it should say on the bulbs what they are .

My plan, so far.. Is to drill into each rock as I want it set up and use the small diameter PVC to hold it together. That way, if I want to change the scape around later I won't have to worry about glue or getting new rocks. I can just pull them apart and drill new holes.
I will check tomorrow to see what kind of bulbs they are. I don't know much about lights.

I really really like my foxface. On one side his spot is a perfect O, on the other side it looks like a heart, lol. We named him Todd, after the fox & the hound.

I really really like my foxface. On one side his spot is a perfect O, on the other side it looks like a heart, lol. We named him Todd, after the fox & the hound.
Lol my daughter named ours spike lol

You should still be able to get parts for it don't know if the company is still around had one a few years back. My two fox face been in QT for two weeks now.

img_2688345_0_489ac2df70740dfb8d7965fcaa190607.jpg

Holy crap. I think I found it, $405 per 2 ft fixture, and I have two!

Thank you so much! I finally know what kind of lights I have lol.

Metal halide & T5.

The fans on mine must be busted, because they aren't cooling the bulbs at all.

Holy crap. I think I found it, $405 per 2 ft fixture, and I have two! Thank you so much! I finally know what kind of lights I have lol. Metal halide & T5. The fans on mine must be busted, because they aren't cooling the bulbs at all.

That was one of the problems with them bad fans but it easy to change out.

Back
Top Bottom