Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've come across the Berlin method doing research, don't know much about it though, sorry. maybe one day if I ever get into corals I'd consider it. But that would require upgrading my lights maybe? I don't know I got the tank used and it came with metal halide lights but I can't leave the darn white lights on for very long because even with the fans running on them it heats the entire tank up!!

I'm pretty excited about the cucumber though, thanks for the tip!! I have a FW tank with cichlids & they TEAR UP cucumber & zucchini! I will have to get a new veggie clip tomorrow and drop in some for my foxface!

I still can't get over how much he eats! Its insane lol

Old 10-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoles_b View Post
I've come across the Berlin method doing research, don't know much about it though, sorry. maybe one day if I ever get into corals I'd consider it. But that would require upgrading my lights maybe? I don't know I got the tank used and it came with metal halide lights but I can't leave the darn white lights on for very long because even with the fans running on them it heats the entire tank up!! I'm pretty excited about the cucumber though, thanks for the tip!! I have a FW tank with cichlids & they TEAR UP cucumber & zucchini! I will have to get a new veggie clip tomorrow and drop in some for my foxface! I still can't get over how much he eats! Its insane lol
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2961424264.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	202712

Taken today ,
I used to have a large rock in the center at the top but I had to move it a week ago after something knocked it over , thinking it was my urchin .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1255741266.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	202709   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1239206810.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	202710  

Name:	image-3417852295.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	202711  

Old 10-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I've come across the Berlin method doing research, don't know much about it though, sorry. maybe one day if I ever get into corals I'd consider it. But that would require upgrading my lights maybe? I don't know I got the tank used and it came with metal halide lights but I can't leave the darn white lights on for very long because even with the fans running on them it heats the entire tank up!! I'm pretty excited about the cucumber though, thanks for the tip!! I have a FW tank with cichlids & they TEAR UP cucumber & zucchini! I will have to get a new veggie clip tomorrow and drop in some for my foxface! I still can't get over how much he eats! Its insane lol
What do you have for lights ? Only the MH ?
I have seen them run with fluorescents .
Keep the fluorescents on and only have the MH on for a few hours a day .
I have T5 HO 6 bulb fixture
Old 10-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow, very nice!! I want a anemone so bad, but I don't have the means to support its needs. I could get a timer for my lights for cheap, but I'd have to get a chiller as well, & Christmas is too close to be spending that kind of money on myself!! One day...

When I first set my tank up I put a DSB in, spent about $300 in sand alone. Weeks down the road after my cycle no matter how many water changes I did my nitrates kept climbing. Come to find out, the sand I had gotten was too large of a grain so it was just a nitrate factory. I've got two 5 gallon buckets full of sand in my garage I can't do anything with! So frustrating.

I do plan on getting some finer sand because I love the idea of having an active sandbed!

I have to keep telling myself one thing at a time! Slow is good. But I am not a patient person lol.

I can't wait until my tank is as beautiful as yours!
Old 10-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmckoy View Post
What do you have for lights ? Only the MH ? I have seen them run with fluorescents . Keep the fluorescents on and only have the MH on for a few hours a day . I have T5 HO 6 bulb fixture
I honestly don't know. The blue lights which don't heat up the tank I'm currently running all day. The white lights are ridiculous. Literally leaving them on for one hour will raise the tanks temperature 1 & 1/2 degrees. Too big of a swing in a very little amount of time.

My guess is that's why I have basically no algae. But I'm not complaining lol.

I just wish my tank wasn't always blue.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Wow, very nice!! I want a anemone so bad, but I don't have the means to support its needs. I could get a timer for my lights for cheap, but I'd have to get a chiller as well, & Christmas is too close to be spending that kind of money on myself!! One day... When I first set my tank up I put a DSB in, spent about $300 in sand alone. Weeks down the road after my cycle no matter how many water changes I did my nitrates kept climbing. Come to find out, the sand I had gotten was too large of a grain so it was just a nitrate factory. I've got two 5 gallon buckets full of sand in my garage I can't do anything with! So frustrating. I do plan on getting some finer sand because I love the idea of having an active sandbed! I have to keep telling myself one thing at a time! Slow is good. But I am not a patient person lol. I can't wait until my tank is as beautiful as yours!
I want more colorful corals ,
Coralline algae has covered everything , with pink and purples ,
I have little algae I think it's cause of the 3 tangs ( that shouldn't all be together in a 75 ) and now another algae eater ( Foxface )
He is a ugly fish lmao .
I think you could support corals with the lights you have ,
Research how much bright light they need and for how long per day ,
As for timers , I got mine cheap $20 at the hardware store
Old 10-16-2013, 12:16 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I honestly don't know. The blue lights which don't heat up the tank I'm currently running all day. The white lights are ridiculous. Literally leaving them on for one hour will raise the tanks temperature 1 & 1/2 degrees. Too big of a swing in a very little amount of time. My guess is that's why I have basically no algae. But I'm not complaining lol. I just wish my tank wasn't always blue.
My tank is only blue for 1 hour before and 1 hour after the brights .
I don't like the blue .
I want to get a pink bulb .
Apparently it is beneficial for corals but I will have to read on that before making the decision.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:57 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

A few photos, one of my foxface in full camo, one of him out swimming, my lights (not sure if you can tell what they are, I'm sure I need to buy new bulbs for it) and one of the tank, lights out. Don't mind my aquascape... I actually knocked over half my rocks trying to do a big water change the other day lol. I went out and bought some more small PVC pipe and a new drill bit. That is my next project...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3123831354.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	202729   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1626649821.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	202730  

Name:	image-1249752115.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	202731   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3852795941.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	202733  

Old 10-16-2013, 01:02 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your Foxface looks much nicer then mine ,
It's spot is more defined to be just a spot ,
Mine is a spot and a blur lol
The lights , we know you have a MH in the center ,
The outside I'm not sure if they are regular fluorescent or T5 bulbs , it should say on the bulbs what they are .
Old 10-16-2013, 01:03 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What are your plans with the PVC and drill ?

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com