Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Smoke like stuff swirling around tank?

Hi all!

Okay, I know this sounds ridiculous. I tried to google it and all I got were answers that don't apply to my situation (coral shedding/molting, large snails reproducing, smoke from cigarettes).

So, fed my fish after I got the kids into bed this evening, and I noticed this white, smoke like, almost looked like little veils floating around the tank. Didn't last very long though, my powerheads were blowing it around and I saw it for a few seconds, tried to snap a pic, and then it was gone into the overflow.

I have a 90 gallon FOWLR.

Newest addition is a One Spot Foxface added about 5 days ago.
(ammonia has since been showing .25 on the test kits- I didn't think a fish could eat/poop so much! LOL) I suppose my BB is catching up, tank was fully cycled back in May. Could these wispy things be bacterial bloom?

Other inhabitants include:
2 ocelarris clowns
1 firefish
1 blue spotted goby

1 banded coral shrimp
4 red legged hermits
crap load of feather dusters that came in LR
brittle stars, & asterina stars (no idea how many)

naussaris & FL cerith(small) snails, got rid of most. probably only 10-12 in the tank.

I tested after, I thought maybe it was extra mucus from a stressed fish or something(?) but all tests came out OK other than ammonia(I did a 25gal water change day before yesterday. The ammonia reading scared me!! Currently have more water mixing to do another [maybe not so large] water change tomorrow)

amm: .25
ite: 0
ate: 10
phos: 0
cal: 480
ph: 8.2
temp: 79.5
*api test kits*

not sure if this applies to this at all, but I had a diatom outbreak in May, cleared up within a week or so, and have had little to NO algae since then, other than a little coralline on rocks which is spreading slowly, and something is on the back wall but you can't really see it against the background.

This isn't like some weird fungal fish disease is it??

I've added one fish every month or so, other than my clowns I got as a pair back in May. Religious about water changes, 10% every week, clean out my filter sock & skimmer during every water change. Also have an ATO.

Hopefully one of you guys have an answer!

Old 10-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The white cloud , milky smoke is from the worms .
As for the ammonia showing on the test that's weird ,
And a sign that something isn't quite right .
All from adding just one fish?
I added the same fish to my tank about a week ago ,
He is a huge eater , poops a lot lol
Mine loves broccoli and cucumber .
I have 3 veggie clips for the tangs ,
Sea veggie in one , cucumber on the other and the last one has broccoli .
The tangs eat the sea veggie and broccoli and he eats the cucumber .
For a venomous fish I thought he would be a lot tougher or more aggressive then he is .
Anyways back to your ammonia ,
For a 90 gal you don't have much for livestock so I can't see overstocking a issue ,
That depends on your systems filtration ,

Old 10-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have been feeding more since he's been in the tank. Mainly because he's a pig and steals all the food. Be it pellets or mysis. I have tried putting some red seaweed rubber banded to a rock and he nips at it for a bit and then just guards it until I take it out lol. I was thinking because my other 4 fish are so small and finally adding him (he's about 4 inches or so) my BB got kicked into high gear. He literally will eat every thing I drop in the tank except a few pieces which the two clowns eat up and I feel like there's no food left for the firefish. Goby I know is ok cuz he sifts the sand all day. I don't know
Old 10-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

As for filtration, I have a reef octopus skimmer, which model I don't remember. Also about 130 lbs of rock so far(adding dry rock as I go along). I'm not dosing anything or running carbon or reactors. All I use is a filter sock which gets cleaned in vinegar & ro/di every week. I feed every other day. New life spectrum, mysis, or "red marine algae with natural garlic extract" I bought specifically for the foxface, I've dropped into the tank before trying to feed the rest of the fish twice since he's been introduced.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree the smoke is probably from the worms. I saw a bristle work stick his butt out of a rock hole and shoot out poop or spores. Yuck.

As for the ammonia jump, you actually did a relatively significant bioload jump compared to the other 4 fish. The BB should soon catch up and you will be OK.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
I agree the smoke is probably from the worms. I saw a bristle work stick his butt out of a rock hole and shoot out poop or spores. Yuck. As for the ammonia jump, you actually did a relatively significant bioload jump compared to the other 4 fish. The BB should soon catch up and you will be OK.
Bio load jump ?
With the addition of the rocks or Foxface ?
Old 10-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
I agree the smoke is probably from the worms. I saw a bristle work stick his butt out of a rock hole and shoot out poop or spores. Yuck. As for the ammonia jump, you actually did a relatively significant bioload jump compared to the other 4 fish. The BB should soon catch up and you will be OK.
Or just the Foxface and the extra feeding ?
Old 10-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just the Foxface. What he eats compared to the other 4 fish, might be about a 33%+ increase in bioload. Not huge, but noticeable. It should go back down in a few days.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks Ingy!! I will test again tonight, hopefully it's gone down by now.

That's crazy about the worms, lol. Luckily I rarely see mine in action... They freak me out a little!
Old 10-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoles_b View Post
Thanks Ingy!! I will test again tonight, hopefully it's gone down by now. That's crazy about the worms, lol. Luckily I rarely see mine in action... They freak me out a little!
I had the same thing with " smoke after lights went out "
I asked on here the same as you did ,
I did get a picture .
I was told they are reproducing .

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com