Snail and crab questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does the cycling process have to be completely finished before adding any snails or hermits?

Are there any snails or

Yes I'd say finish your cycle off you don't wanna be buying animals that are gonna get poisoned and die. I'd wait a week after you cycle finishes to see how it goes. I'd say only add a few at a time my tank has been running for 3 months now and iv only added 5 hermits 3 turbos and one clown goby.

You need to wait till the cycle is completely done and then do a 33% PWC to lower nitrates. Inverts like crabs are very suseptible to ammonia, nitrites and nitrates IME.

Add them slowly so you aren't letting them starve. If you get hermits get some extra shells and hopefully it will keep them from killing your snails.

These snails actually hunt other snails if they don't get enough food Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Aquariums: Bumble Bee Snail these are ok if you don't mind keeping them in a tank with a lid on Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Aquariums: Nerite Snail these get to big Saltwater Aquarium Snails for Marine Aquariums: Fighting Conch there is actually more to stay away from than you want in your tank I think. For snails go with a few of these Saltwater Invertebrates for Marine Aquariums: Banded Trochus Snail for algae and these for cleaning up dead stuff and left over food Saltwater Aquarium Snails for Marine Reef Aquariums: Nassarius Snail

Wow thanks!!! That helps a LOT! I've heard that red leg and blue leg hermits dont mix too well? Is this true?

I have some of both in my 55 that tank is the dumping ground for crabs that my friend doesn't want any more because of size. I prefer the blue legged ones because they do stay smaller and less likely to kill my bigger snails. I have one that is a Hawaiian hermit that is really pretty big he is about 2 years old now it can be a bull dozer in my tank. Every time I see one of these guys Saltwater Aquarium Crabs for Marine Aquariums: Halloween Hermit Crab I have to convince myself I don't need another crab. It may not last much longer I plan on going to a swap in April and I know someone will have some there lol

I have common, blue an red hermits in my tank the all seem fine together, they love to change shells though if one of the red ones gets a big fancy shell you can guarantee the rest will try outdo him! I have a tiny hermit in shell way to big for him to move at the moment lol

How often do hermits change shells? I just picked up 10 blue legs yesterday. Do I have toworry about my Nass snails in there? I have 20 of them, but I think the hermits are smaller a little bigger than the snails though.

My hermits didn't change for a week or so now one or two change once a week maybe but that's cus I have loads of shells I keep swapping so they try all the pretty ones out.

Okay thanks!! I love the blue legged and red legged but wasn't sure if they'd mix. That's funny about they shell swapping!!! I'm gonna put a bunch of extra shells in and see if they do that too.

How often do hermits change shells? I just picked up 10 blue legs yesterday. Do I have toworry about my Nass snails in there? I have 20 of them, but I think the hermits are smaller a little bigger than the snails though.
You need to add meaty foods for those snails or they will starve to death.

Well meaty wise... I feed my anemone small pieces of silversides and there goes my hermit trying to pick it off haha. But uhh frozen marine fusion works great. You can feed fish and hermits. But watch out for over feeding it happens easily.

Back
Top Bottom