snail deaths/skimmer (a bit long sorry)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quintina2023

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,this is my first post,but i have been reading it for over a year,this is a very nice site.my 55 gal will be a year old next month,it been going okay,been doing the hair algae battle off an on,my question is everytime i try to put in new snails they die, almost instant,but the last time it took them a day,i got the water tested they day i got them and everything checked out,trates were 10ppm lowest i have gotten it down to,i acclimate them by floating the bag for 30 to 45 min then add a bit of tank water once every 15 mins,i have no clue,also anyone have any tips on using a Lee's Counter Current Protein Skimmer,i cant seem to get it right,if i put at the water line it doesnt work,but if i lower it sometimes it makes foam at times not.im gonna get a new skimmer after i recover from the holidays,just trying to make due for now.anyhelp would be greatly appreciated,thank you

Some inverts require a long acclimation process.. Have you ever used copper in the tank to treat sick fish? Any lr? Where did you get it from.
Any other meds??
have the water tested for copper at the LFS..

Like Seaham said, snails need a long acclimation process. The best way is to drip acclimate them. Are you familiar with that process? I drip mine for 3 hours before placing them in the tank.

Also some snails need lower temps. I kept having mine die and found out that they were dieing from 82 degree temps. Dropped it down to 75 and have had no problem since. On your hair algea I`ve been feeding mine every other day and using a UV to kill algea spores for over eight years with no hair algea. Hair algea has to have fuel and I believe overfeeding is alot of the problem IMO

thanks

thanks for all the responses,i treated the tank back in july with some Maracyn(for hair algae per lfs)i didnt really know much about it then i just wanted it gone.my temp is usually at 79/79 and i got the snails two different lfs,unless they buy from the same supplier lol.

Maracyn is for viral or bacterial problems I forget which but it definitely is not for algea. I`m sorry wrong call by LFS.

Back
Top Bottom