Snail names needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moneymike1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys looking to get some snails to clean the algae in my tank. Want snails that will not reproduce and take over my aquarium! Any help will be great let me know and so I can order ASAP! Thanks!

Will they reproduce in the tank? I had a fresh water tank that got over run by snails as a kid and they just kind of freak me out. Only because I have put a couple thousand into my current setup.

I don't think so. I bought 4 and I still have 4. I also have some nassarius snails but my girlfriend didn't feed my hermit crabs so they killed a few of the snails. I think you should be ok with them.

Turbo snails are good for that but they are well known bulldozers that knocks corals and rocks around. Nerites are nice and they stay small but has a limited taste on the variety of algae that they eat. Astrea snails are cool but they have tendencies to be clumsy. They are not able to upright themselves.

No problem. Feel free to ask anything on here. Someone always has an opinion. Here's my conch.

image-1073838935.jpg

They are big and will crawl on rock. So make sure your corals are attached. It's possible for then to knock corals off accidentally.

Awesome pic thanks! I love seeing other people's tanks and animals.

I like banded trochus snails, and they haven't reproduced yet. I have lots of astrea, and I do have some babies in the tank. Nassarius are great cleaners, and I have some babies of those too. My tank had not been overrun with babies by any teeth of the imagination. The fish usually eat the majority of the snail eggs before they can hatch.

Thanks fr the advice! I recently just ordered some turbo snails so hopefully the tank will get clean fAst!

I found the turban snails to be great at algae eating. I had no luck with Astraea snails as my hermits killed them all. A good variety is key I think. I also have cerinth, nassarius, turbo, zebra turbo and bumblebee snails all working happily together.

Back
Top Bottom