Snail or crab in a sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bennett85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a question and would like to know before I try it if anyone has tried it before. I would like to know if I could put snails and or hermit crabs in a sump with no light. I would like to see if they could help keep it a little cleaner and eat some of the stuff that is hard to clean out. It is for a reef tank if that helps. Thanks for any help.

bennett85 said:
I have a question and would like to know before I try it if anyone has tried it before. I would like to know if I could put snails and or hermit crabs in a sump with no light. I would like to see if they could help keep it a little cleaner and eat some of the stuff that is hard to clean out. It is for a reef tank if that helps. Thanks for any help.

Yes you can but anything long term and i would get some sort of tiny light source. Even moon lighting will work. Just something so they can keep their sanity. Humans dont need light either but without it suddenly we would feel pretty lost and hopeless lol

Lol that's a funny way to put it. But do you think they would help eat some of the waste in the sump?

bennett85 said:
Lol that's a funny way to put it. But do you think they would help eat some of the waste in the sump?

Well they have to eat so yea. However siphoning out the waste is more efficient and does a way better job. Snails and crabs are no fix

When you buy a light for the sump make sure it is meant for aquariums or able to withstand water evaporation. We made the mistake of buying a small light from Walmart and 2 weeks later the water evaporation broke the light...lesson well learned :)

I think I will hold off on the crabs or snails in the sump till I get a small light for it. I will just have to try and suck most of it out when I do my water change. So anyone got any advise on how they keep their sump clean?

Back
Top Bottom