Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Snail or sea urchin?

I've just started a 10 gallon salt water tank. Its been running for a few weeks. I have noticed green alge over growing in my tank. I would like to know what would be a better choice for this situation. Snails or sea urchin

Va-lerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
What does the algae look like? Is it stringy, looks like fine hair filaments or sort of sheet like?

Snails are a better choice if the growth isn't extremely heavy. I you have hair algae and a ot of it, you need to try and clean off as much of it as you can to help out the clean up crew you decide upon.

Urchins are neat lookikng critters but they grow quicklly and can disturb things as they move about..they aren't particualrly careful. IN a 10g I would go with snails and/or hermit crabs. The scarlet legged and blue legged hermit crabs are good hair algae eaters and the Nerite snails are good for general algae control.

Take a look at the site called reefcleaners.org. They have a good explanation of the types of snails and crabs and what they are good for in the tank.

tlkng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The alge is green and hair like. I have about a fist sized conch shell that is coverd in it but nothing else. I just don't want it to grow outt of control. I don't have a lot in my tank to be knocked over. Just live rock a damsel and a few shells. I'll take a look at that site.
Thank you
Va-lerry is offline   Reply With Quote

chi, sea, snail, urchin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com