2 questions - very slightly connected topics...
When I first started up my tank I added 5 Mexican Turbo snails after the cycling had finished. AT this stage there was LOTS of algae in all kinds of colors on the LR
. Well, from the instant the snails hit the water they began eating.. and eating.. and... well, you get the picture. Within about a week my rocks looked like they had been bleached!
Is this what should happen / be happening? Are these things a menace or useful in my (wannabe) reef tank? To add insult to injury they also produce a lot of... erm.... waste material, let's say. Personally I'd rather have the algae.
I recently acquired a small orange marble sea star. When he arrived I actually thought he was dead - no sign of movement. But I went ahead and did a very long acclimation procedure, didn't expose him to air at all and placed him on the sand. No movement for 24 hours further convinced me he was dead. Then, on the next morning when I looked he had miraculously moved up to the top of the glass of the tank! Since then I've very gently moved him onto the LR
... and he's moved, maybe 1 inch in a 48 hour period. Surely these things move more than this? Is this just 'shock'?