Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-15-2003, 01:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Snails... and SeaStars!

Hi all,
2 questions - very slightly connected topics...
When I first started up my tank I added 5 Mexican Turbo snails after the cycling had finished. AT this stage there was LOTS of algae in all kinds of colors on the LR. Well, from the instant the snails hit the water they began eating.. and eating.. and... well, you get the picture. Within about a week my rocks looked like they had been bleached!
Is this what should happen / be happening? Are these things a menace or useful in my (wannabe) reef tank? To add insult to injury they also produce a lot of... erm.... waste material, let's say. Personally I'd rather have the algae.
Second question:
I recently acquired a small orange marble sea star. When he arrived I actually thought he was dead - no sign of movement. But I went ahead and did a very long acclimation procedure, didn't expose him to air at all and placed him on the sand. No movement for 24 hours further convinced me he was dead. Then, on the next morning when I looked he had miraculously moved up to the top of the glass of the tank! Since then I've very gently moved him onto the LR... and he's moved, maybe 1 inch in a 48 hour period. Surely these things move more than this? Is this just 'shock'?

AndySmithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 05:05 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Sure wish my turbos were that industrious. They are not a menace. I had not known them to eat coralline algae, but I could be wrong.

I would not worry too much about your sea star at this point. They move alot when they cant find food, if it is finding food, it might just be eating.

Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:01 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
The question I have to ask is what kind of algae was on your rock? Like Hara, I have never seen turbos eat coraline. What did the algae look like?
Logan J
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote

snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com