Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-16-2003, 09:41 PM   #1
snails, hermits reef safe?

Are all the so-called algae eaters, snails, little hermits, etc., safe for mushrooms, polyps, other soft corals? Or do they eat them if there isn't enough algae?
Old 08-16-2003, 10:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to brewercm
I haven't had any problems with mine. If the algae gets low you may want to add some sheets you can by from your lfs, that way the snails or any other strictly algae eaters don't die.

brewercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 09:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Hermit crabs have a tendency to kill snails for there shells. some have claimed success in putting in empty shells for the hermits to move into when they start to grow, but no guaranties. I believe someone has told me that sally lightfoot's are good algea eaters, and reef safe. HTH
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 12:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
I recommend that you avoid "red leg" hermits, which I believe are different from "scarlet" hermits. my favorite hermits have been the hawaiin zebra and the electric blue <----my most favorite.

I also would avoid large-bodied crabs such as decorators and emerald mythrax. I have had experience with both of those guys destroying polyp colonies and mushrooms. Especially the decorator. They'll pick an entire colony to wear on their back, and end up killing them.
kidafius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 12:33 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Hermits will not only go after snails for their shells, they will also go after other hermit crabs.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

hermit, hermits, reef, safe, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com