Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll see if I can get some real updates going on my days off, maybe some pictures. Haven't really been able to since I was injured at work last Thursday. Making water changes difficult.
But, in other news, I still want a ATS on my tank. Simply want to buy one still I think. Thoughts on this? https://www.algaescrubbing.com/

I would love to see how it works for you.

Ok. So, I had a revelation. I can use the pieces I was going to use before to make my own. Just need a pump with the PVC. Then get one of those clear containers for flyers you see outside and two hydroponics LEDs that you can screw into any light socket into clip on lights. BAM. Thoughts?

I think that would work fine. I heard that red light is best for algae growth, im not sure about that or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think that would work fine. I heard that red light is best for algae growth, im not sure about that or not.

I has a 100w ufo light pendant with 50:50 red & blue LEDs that I gave my supplier to try over his fuge. Things seem to be growing good with it. The color spectrum really messes with you though!

Nice shot of the algae issue that is driving me insane.

You can see in the second to last picture the war going on between the long tentacle anemone and the green hairy mushrooms. I'm really impressed and surprised that the long tentacle is pulling away like it is while the hairy mushroom is not only probably 4 inches across...it appears to be splitting through the entire process of war.

Last edited:
A majority of the pieces are in for my DIY ATS. This is going to require a trip to the hardware store for PVC and I need some of the quick lock links so I'll be able to take the top off to clean it. Once I get all of the pieces, I am going to try to take pictures as I go to show what I'm doing if anyone ever wants to attempt a similar project. Not sure if it'll be right in this thread or if I'll end up making a thread in the DIY section. With that all said, totally not my design. I've watched so many videos and read so much over the last week I don't know where it all came from. Just made improvements to fit my needs.

Tank looks good hank. Those hairy mushrooms are no joke. Well as you can see that anemone isn't liking it! I have one that popped my ducan pretty good, had to separate them or I would've lost my Duncan for sure. That good size galaxea coral I had was another heavy hitter. Thats why it had to go getting into SPSs and it had those super long sweepers. I'm still convinced that that galaxea killed my red star though I've never heard of it. Looking toward to see your algae scrubber project, and results hopefully!

Will hopefully be able to get the pvc I need on Monday to start the DIY scrubber.
I am not happy with the outdoor flyer holder that arrived, so going to need to find another one.
The oregon tort has also become a piece of live rock in the tank. Raising the alk was too much for it. Thankfully the glue was able to stop the recession from the pink milli, who's color has returned to pink from green for the record.

Well, I started and would have finished the ATS today. I had a really good go at it, until I didn't have the screw valve put together when I started gluing it all together. Opps. Show me for not paying close attention. I'll get the new pieces tomorrow and finish it up.

Well, I started and would have finished the ATS today. I had a really good go at it, until I didn't have the screw valve put together when I started gluing it all together. Opps. Show me for not paying close attention. I'll get the new pieces tomorrow and finish it up.

Can't wait to see what you have going on.

Was able to get the new pieces of PVC yesterday. Today I stopped off at the hardware store and got some stir sticks. Going to be using them to hold the plexiglass body in place. Why do you ask? Because they are FREE! Hoping to get up tomorrow morning and put things together.
So, with that said, the reef's current stock hasn't changed. Currently sitting at 2 ocellaris clowns (one black one orange), one marine betta, one lawnmower blenny, one coral beauty, one PJ cardinal, and one lubbock's fairy wrasse.
With that said, I've been thinking about adding a tomini tang. Thoughts?

I think it would be ok since it's a smaller tang, but with how my rocks are laid out and with the coral beauty and betta there would be too many big fish. Just always pops into my head as doable.

I think it would be ok since it's a smaller tang, but with how my rocks are laid out and with the coral beauty and betta there would be too many big fish. Just always pops into my head as doable.

Don't know on the tang, never owned one. I'm still waiting for them to discover that nano tang out there in the ocean somewhere! :) Those marine bettas are some cool fish.

On to real news. I have all the pieces ready after being dry fit together today before work. I couldn't find the screen, even after tearing apart the living room, but the wife was able to find it. Tomorrow after work I'll have it put together hopefully. It will only have one of the lights right off the bat as I haven't been to Lowes or anywhere to get a second fixture for the other LED.

looking forward to seeing it in action

It is just about done, but I'll show the progress since the finish isn't that spectacular...just a PVC pipe coming out the bottom.

The outdoor brochure holder with notches jigsaw'd out for the pipe to go.

The pipe that disconnects and holds the screen. Dremel'd so it can fit inside the pipe and be zip tied onto the pipe.

Showing the disconnect on the pipe.

Roughly put together without the acrylic casing.

With the casing, held up by PVC only for the picture, but one piece will be the return pipe.

Cemented together.
Test run with one hydroponics LED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom