Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a beauty of a clam too. I need to figure out how to ensure this one stays. I know all the info, just haven't been successful yet.

pics of the clam! I want one so badly but need to upgrade lighting first I think. Good luck with it!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's a beauty of a clam too. I need to figure out how to ensure this one stays. I know all the info, just haven't been successful yet.

That's one thing I've never tried to keep. I may look into one now that the euphyllias are gone. Don't starfish eat them or the other way around? I don't think I can part with my red Linkia though it's always in the way when I decide to use the mag-float...

I'm not aware of any stars that eat them...reef safe stars that is. Only issue I've had with them is pyramid snails.

I would be cautious with any stout bodied stars, as they would be the ones most likely to pry a clam open. Chocolate chip stars definitely out of the question, and I imagine any others with the same body style.
The linkia stars may not be powerful enough with just spindly arms to pry a clam open.
But bear in mind, all a starfish has to do is get it open enough to squish his guts in there, and that is not very wide at all, maybe 1/8" or less.
From what I understand they are relentless as well and will keep pressure on a bivalve for hours if needed to exhaust them so they relax just enough.......
think of a boa constrictor in reverse, instead of crushing, its pulling.

But there aren't any starfish on the tank besides the one serpent that has never been an issue. The one that was was my yellow brittle but it's long gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I will have to do some research on linkias and clams before I think of making that purchase.

img_3253067_0_6222d100b911fb20453b9a58907f3199.jpg

I would be cautious with any stout bodied stars, as they would be the ones most likely to pry a clam open. Chocolate chip stars definitely out of the question, and I imagine any others with the same body style.
The linkia stars may not be powerful enough with just spindly arms to pry a clam open.
But bear in mind, all a starfish has to do is get it open enough to squish his guts in there, and that is not very wide at all, maybe 1/8" or less.
From what I understand they are relentless as well and will keep pressure on a bivalve for hours if needed to exhaust them so they relax just enough.......
think of a boa constrictor in reverse, instead of crushing, its pulling.
+1. Yes..I think this is one of their main predators in the wild. Not sure if linckias can or can't , but I would be concerned. I don't think a serpent can do it though. The star must have those suckers on it's "legs", which serpents do not have.
Per : 10 Facts About Starfish (Sea Stars)

"They prey on bivalves like mussels and clams, as well as small fish, snails, and barnacles. If you've ever tried to pry the shell of a clam or mussel open, you know how difficult it is. Sea stars wrap their arms around the animal's shell and pull it open just enough. And then it does something we could never imagine - it pushes its stomach through its mouth and into the bivalve's shell. It then digests the animal and slides its stomach back into its own body. This unique feeding mechanism allows the sea star to eat larger prey than it would otherwise be able to fit into its tiny mouth."

Well, either way, the little maxima isn't open as of coming home today. Simply can't win with these guys. Opens up right away in acclimation and not in the display.

Not that I've seen...When I got home I was weirded out because something stunk and the tomini wasn't to be seen anywhere. Turns out something died in the trash and the tomini eventually came out, didn't like when the wife came home from her run with the dog.
Either way, I moved the clam in hopes it opens up.

Hank.. this has been quite the thread man! Best of luck!! Wish I could help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. You're telling me though. Oh the levels of success and failure. I want the future tank to have several clams in there...so I have to be able to successfully keep ONE first. Ugh clams, why I must like them so much.
Real irony is how long I kept the coco worm and the flame scallop...supposedly much harder to keep due to them needing to be fed. But never feed and they continued to thrive.

Well, I'm not sure if the move was a big help to it but it is extending the mantle this morning. It might also be that the clam doesn't like me and retracts when I get near the tank, lol. Either way, I'll be keeping an eye on my new found anxiety.

I have never needed to add calcium to the tank and I've kept plenty of clams, except for one that was roughly the size of a football. I think you have time before that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom