Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably better water quality at this point. I was able to get back to the walmart brand water rather than the giant eagle brand. I always think about running different tests on them or even simply making a list of what is supposed to be in the distilled waters to best assist those that don't have access to ro/di water like myself.
It had started to grow back some time ago once the hair algae problem began to fall apart. I took a good chunk of time to ensure that the coral didn't end up getting overwhelmed. Of course I broke it off the rock, which is why you see it simply laying on the rock now due to not having any putty or glue. It doesn't seem to care, so neither do I.
But the brass tacks of the entire ordeal is that nutrients in the water column kill. I lost all but one fish, almost all of my SPS, and many polyps. The polyps was pretty pleasing as the tank would have eventually been overrun by green palys. The orange monti continues to be impossible to kill where the marshall island latana has taken some heavy blows but keeps coming back just like the smallest duncan colony. Even my designer zoas came back, where the 5-6 polyps that went into the tank I officially have 2. Pretty big improvement since they all melted away early upon entering the system.

Well you have been through a lot of tough times with that tank. Your comments make me decide to get some RODI water along with the SW when I go to the lfs next time for my nano. You scared me! We have pretty good tap water for using for water evap refills (many LFS nearby do not use ro/di for the SW) I tried both ways previously and didn't seem to make any difference. But in the last couple weeks I did see a change. (who knows why). So I am heeding the advice/experience now. Thanks!

Ugh, don't get me started on tap water...a heavy rain brings the manure that is put on the fields for my neighbors crops into my well. Literal chunks and clogs up all the filters.
But in good news, I was reading about this neat ro/di system that I really wanted to try out. Then Dary gets one and we have a small chat about it. Really think I want to get one. I'd have enough room for it in the kitchen and there would still be enough room for my wife to do...whatever it is she does in there that needs all the space that I didn't, LOL.

:) Well I have a RO/DI that I never set up from a soda fountain machine, but it is rather large and not convenient or I woulda set it up already. No good space for it atm. But I will be curious to watch what you end up doing. My tank is little so it is more inconvenient but not very expensive to go 45-55 min each way drive for the SW, hahaha.

You putting up your Rodi unit with Xmas cookies ,...mine took a couple of beers :) ..... either way ,congrats

A big maroon clown with a pattern like no other. Reminded me of the lightning pattern you see...and 20 bucks.

That's pretty cool! I'm was certain it was a clown, but those thin line patterns and I guess the possibly torn dorsal fin was messing with me. Heck of a deal for $20! Hope it's not mean as devil himself!

Oh, Petco was excited to see it go. He was 3 times the size of every other clown they got in and pushed around everyone in the tank. Entered my system and that didn't happen once it was introduced.
They were full of all kinds of fairy wrasses and such. Was really cool. They had a blue devil damsel too. That is one mean but beautiful fish. I actually pushed it's existence out of my mind and could only ever think of two fish in the hobby that were blue. Now that there is 3, I still won't buy two of them lol.

I too am susceptible to spontaneous purchases. Walked out with this guy yesterday, got home and realized all I have is a 40 gallon.... LOL.
w8oI3df.jpg

Nice fish Hank, I hear they are oh so mean! Good ole spontaneous purchases!!! Paul you only have a 40 - for now!

Very exciting Christmas present Hank, with holiday hatchets rofl! Interesting Christmas tradition. :) So glad to see you getting this, long time coming, here's to hoping you will have a splendid and easy 2017 SW tank experience! Cheers!

It all sure will be. I gave a good chunk of time sanding the piece of wood the new di unit will hang from. I was originally going to stain it, but I'll look into that when I buy a new home.
Paul, how big is that worm brain? It looks like it fits nicely. How much recession on the sides?

Paul, how big is that worm brain? It looks like it fits nicely. How much recession on the sides?

It's around the 4"x5" range, about 2" thick for the most part. It's a nice size chunk and I got a great deal on it. Half inch of recession at the largest spot only on one side. Maybe 1/4" around one side. Curious to see it get comfy and send out some sweepers.

Last edited by a moderator:
That'd be good. It is part of something I haven't been able to get going in my tank for quite some time is good polyp extension from SPS and non duncan LPS success. I'm really hoping when I get this ro/di up and running it will be a part of the solution.
Something else I wish I could play around with is the Seneye to see where the lighting in my system is at. Really neat product, but the price for something I wouldn't be using all the time isn't sensible for my situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom