Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #131
Aquarium Advice Addict

How goes everything today? Are the clowns happy? Did the corals all open?

Old 05-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #132
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

No they haven't. And my snails haven't moved either. Quite confused.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:18 AM   #133
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Came home from work. Snails still havent moved...one or 2 had but not far. Duncan not open...moved it and the scroll into the 36. Have a big thunderstorm here so i just checked my tanks. The duncan now looks normal! Tentacles will be out in the morning. Anyone have a clue here? Im at a total loss as to what would cause lps and snails to act like this and not effect softies, fish, crabs, and shrimp
Old 05-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #134
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Don't know if anyone is still following this disaster or not. The duncans didn't open up like I was hoping. So all that are left from my order are the scroll, duncan, and rics. Even all the snails are dead. Every single test has come up with nothing. Says my water is perfect. So perfect that my tank was so over run with cyano I had to siphon the entire sandbed and take all the rocks out to scrub it off. Sigh.

On a good note, my 50 lbs of LR came from saltwaterfish.com today. I was expecting what I got last time, even though FedEx trashed that box. I opened it up and my jaw dropped. It was amazing rock. It was covered with all kinds of stuff. Macro algaes and some other stuff I'm not even sure what it is.

I have it all in a keggerator with a heater and powerhead. Can't wait to mess around with it. It will give me time to figure out what is wrong with my water. Going to not only change the filters in my RO/DI, but also the filter that comes into my house and see if that helps anything. If that doesn't do it, I'm lost.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:08 AM   #135
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like the rock! I'm sorry you have a tank of death. I know the feeling. It seems like all the fish I put in my freshwater tank die. I've got some in there now that must have good strong genes... I can't figure out what the deal is with my tank. Let us know how the rock work turns out. Are the clowns doing well?
Old 05-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #136
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The clowns are doing great. I got home today and was showing my tank off...and the royal gramma was picking on them. Another example of me having one that doesn't hide in the rocks all day like everyone else seems too. That was of course unacceptable. Back into the 36 he went.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:05 AM   #137
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Also, just installed a Marineland Maxi-jet 1200. Say hello to 300 more GPH. Not quite sure why it needs an airline on it, but whatever. This should give me more flow as I battle the cyano problem.

Once my new LR is done curing, the return pump that I have in it, which was my old sump return, will once again see life in my sump. I'll be attaching it to my dual reactor as it is barely getting any flow. Just cap off the T section and use the ball valve already on the return to get the flow through the reactor I want.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:12 AM   #138
Aquarium Advice Addict

How do you know it's done curing?
Old 05-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #139
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You treat it like you would cycle your tank. It is in a keggerator in my kitchen w/ a pump and heater hearing it to 80 degrees. Heated that high to help it move along.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #140
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Im apparently forgetting everything today. Got more powerstrips at walmart. This is letting me have the new powerhead and my uv sterilizer is back in action in my sump.

Also considering the slow trickle flow out of my t section...if i replace my aqueon sump with an old terrarium i have i will have much more room for things...like maybe a diy algae scrubber! I would love some feedback on this since i have a fuge and dual reactor already going on the setup. I was talking my tank issie over witj a guy in erie and he believes my tank setup is overkill...would a scrubber be overkill? Im enjoying this project again and more diy would be great i think. Though with the led on the fuge and lights on a scrubber, id have to get some sort of blind so it isnt always so bright...maybe just enclose the scrubber since the led isnt noticeable.

Oh, added red slime remover. Thatll fix the look while i address the underlying issues. Increased oxygen into my tank with the marineland ph since it suggested more o2. Heres hoping!

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef build, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com