Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #151
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

No doubt, the ro/di unit is one of the best purchases you will make for your tank. SAves money, time and effort. I live in a house and use my backyard garden hose for my unit so I have the 65psi needed. Luckily. lol

Old 05-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #152
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I have a 2 stage coralife RO/DI. I want a better one...just like my skimmer. Work in progress. I want to get one of the 5 stages from BRS that carey mentioned. As for skimmer, I won't think about that until I start building a new sump. That won't come for awhile either.

Anyway, did another major overhaul on the tank today. Continuing to clean up the mess. Scrubbed down all sides of the tank. The addition of the marineland maxi-jet 1200 has made a considerable difference in the flow of the tank. Don't think I like it put together as I did it, so I'll be changing it up later.

I also took my skimmer off and am cleaning it. I actually have cyano growing INSIDE the tornado chamber...can't see inside the thing. It's running on a bucket with vinegar. Has only been going for 40 minutes and you can see the difference already.

Also got my salinity in the tank down to 1.028. I'm still dumbfounded as to how it is moving so slow. Removing 5 gallons of saltwater and adding straight ro/di should make a larger change imo, but a .002 drop won't stress out my fish.

The fish are doing better btw. The clowns are happy now that the royal gramma is out of the tank and my indigo dottyback has taken up residence in a big cave rock I set up for a goby. He has become alot more active as well, I'm accrediting that to the salinity.

As for the corals, still housed in the 36. The ric is doing great. The duncan is finally starting to show its tentacles. This is a flow issue, I moved the PHs around and it opens up more...just dont have enough flow in that tank for corals to begin with! The scroll is existing. No polyp extension, but has shown no signs of bleaching! That was my biggest worry that it would bleach like everything else has. The acan and chalice didn't make it though. They are now sitting on my porch with the worm brain's corpse. Even their skeletons are pretty, maybe I'll do something with them after I finally get my tanks under control, as the 36 is up to 1.030 salinity now... Just don't ask me how I'm pulling this off. I'm literally mixing water up with the help of my refractometer, calibrated everytime with ro/di, to give me 1.021 salinity.

Also, I was dosing both tanks to raise alkalinity since it was at 7. Haven't tested since, but the duncan started doing better right after I dosed and has continued to show improvement.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #153

I don't have access to the pressure regulator at my place. Even if u didn't have the OSI needed Carey if u have city water u should be able to increase it. If I'm not mistaken 65 is just right otherwise thjbgs like ur water heater in ir house may not last as long. I just hope they have my place set right. Can't wait till I buy a house. Just don't know where to plop down. My spouse and I were thinking of cape coral Florida because we like the canals behind the houses. U live in Florida right
Old 05-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #154
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Added a capful of bleach to my skimmer's cleaning. Someone remind me to rinse it out well!
Old 05-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #155

Bleach to clean it. U can neutralize it with the prime stuff I believe. I use peroxide to clean things like socks because I think the bleach just makes it white while the peroxide actually dissolves the algae and what not caught in the fibers
Old 05-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #156
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Peroxide...never thought of cleaning my skimmer with that.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #157
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I added some peroxide as well. It was coming really clean with just the bleach, just needed some help. In awesome news, I've been adjusting the flow to get my duncan 100% happy. So, as I was just checking on it I saw something odd. I knew exactly what it was, so I picked it up and was even more surprised. It wasn't one bristle starfish, it was 5 mini bristles!
Old 05-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #158

I actually don't clean my skimmer with anythjng but water. It comes clean but I do clean filter socks. I have a baby brittle star maybe to the hang their legs out of my rocks.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #159

Also with peroxide it just turns to oxygen inside ur tank. If u ever have a power outage u can use peroxide to give ur tank oxygen
Old 05-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #160
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Good idea, I remember that from high school science class lol. But the reason for actually cleaning it is that it was so thick and caked inside it wouldn't budge. I remember having a clear skimmer...not a brown one.

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef build, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com