Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #1791
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

And who planted his foot exactly where I put him? What a good little anemone. And he looks much better too. Had to do some minor re-arranging, as I expected that was going to need to happen anyway. Here he is before I moved things away from him.

There is a ton going on in this picture though.
See the discoloring on the one trumpet head? That is where it and my zoas grew into each other and they were going punch for punch.
You can also see the algae I'm battling growing up the tube of my coco worm. His crown isn't even half the size that it was...while I was working so much something happened in the tank when I wasn't looking at it daily. Probably nitrates from a different distilled water than I usually use, but just an assumption. Double water changes got things closer to where they were.
Also, back to the trumpet, you can see the effects of vermetid snails on corals. Literally smothering a head to death and there isn't anything I can do to stop them. They are all over the tank.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:33 PM   #1792
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Things have been keeping me busy, but I did get some free time today where I started trying to read up some on the red algae in my tank...which I still believe to be cotton candy. I discovered some of the other red junk in my tank...here it is, as I didn't think it was a bad guy...
Caulacanthus ustulatus | Melev's Reef

Anyway, as I'm not winning the battle with the stuff I'm considering loading the tank with mexican turbos. I've never had great luck with them in the past, but I never had these two things together at the same time and was just throwing snails at algae.
I don't want to believe in any critter to be a solution to a problem, but in reality until I get the ro/di back up and running...which really means buying a house and upgrading the tank...that isn't a current option due to all the fecal matter in my water supply.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #1793
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Things have been keeping me busy, but I did get some free time today where I started trying to read up some on the red algae in my tank...which I still believe to be cotton candy. I discovered some of the other red junk in my tank...here it is, as I didn't think it was a bad guy...
Caulacanthus ustulatus | Melev's Reef

Anyway, as I'm not winning the battle with the stuff I'm considering loading the tank with mexican turbos. I've never had great luck with them in the past, but I never had these two things together at the same time and was just throwing snails at algae.
I don't want to believe in any critter to be a solution to a problem, but in reality until I get the ro/di back up and running...which really means buying a house and upgrading the tank...that isn't a current option due to all the fecal matter in my water supply.
What kind of water are you using? Just curious. I always bought my ro/di water from the fish store. $0.36 a gallon. I do need to eventually get me my own ro/di filter unit though. Lugging around big water jugs all the time can be a workout! Good luck with that algae your battling! Some turbos may help chomp it down some. Luckily my hair algae battle ended a while back, man that stuff can be a headache. I have asterinas everywhere, not as bad as it has been, but they don't even leave me coralline algae. Not sure if that's a blessing or not.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #1794
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The water is half of the problem. It is distilled water, my ro/di is down and it doesn't get sold around here.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #1795
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
The water is half of the problem. It is distilled water, my ro/di is down and it doesn't get sold around here.
That sucks. Have you tried finding one of those culligan machines? They use reverse osmosis but probably aren't changed as frequently as they should be. I do think they have a sign off sheet on them when it was last changed though. Still might be better than distilled, not sure. I wish you luck!

Old 09-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #1796
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

We don't really have things like that either...we're talking middle of nowhere. It's a work in progress.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:15 PM   #1797
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
We don't really have things like that either...we're talking middle of nowhere. It's a work in progress.
LOL. I hear ya. Well hope you get it worked out. I know that stuff can be frustrating. I'm currently battling green bubble algae popping up here and there. Not the toughest battle I've faced for sure, but still annoying.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #1798
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice anemone, I'm glad he behaved himself and took a seat where he was supposed to!
Old 09-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #1799
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsea View Post
Nice anemone, I'm glad he behaved himself and took a seat where he was supposed to!
That place was picked for a reason. After failing with a gbta and the rbta going mobile for a short time, figured out some things about flow and light. Of course, this is all in my system. Does make me want to fiddle some by turning the Radions down some more...
Old 09-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #1800
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's great that he didn't move too much. Anemones are great, but mobility can be concerning especially with pumps and what not in the tank. You must have breathed a sigh of relief as he settled down.

Closed Thread

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef build, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com