Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2014, 11:43 PM   #1831
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Things are going pretty well it appears. The increased flow in the tank has stopped the cyano from smothering things on the one side...don't recall if I mentioned putting one of the old koralia's on the back of the tank or not.
The coral I brought home from Petco colored up nicely. It doesn't appear to have blue 'eyes' anymore, but are greenish and the brown has turned a nice red. An interesting comparison next to my war coral. I'll have to try to get some pictures on my days off, wife allowing of course The only thing that I'd like to do is give it some space, it and the chalice on the rack beside it might not be friends as there is a small spot whitening on the side near it.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:31 AM   #1832
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Things are going pretty well it appears. The increased flow in the tank has stopped the cyano from smothering things on the one side...don't recall if I mentioned putting one of the old koralia's on the back of the tank or not.
The coral I brought home from Petco colored up nicely. It doesn't appear to have blue 'eyes' anymore, but are greenish and the brown has turned a nice red. An interesting comparison next to my war coral. I'll have to try to get some pictures on my days off, wife allowing of course The only thing that I'd like to do is give it some space, it and the chalice on the rack beside it might not be friends as there is a small spot whitening on the side near it.
Good to hear!

paul87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #1833
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Check them out at night when the lights go out. Chalices can whip out 4" sweepers.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #1834
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

A slow day for me after working 16.5 hours yesterday. Figured since I had to feed, clean the glass, and eventually look at the skimmer again, I'd take some pictures.
To show off the damage of large vermetid snails

Looking for thoughts of solving the issue of algae growing on my acan skeleton

Blue Symphodium opening up for the day

The unknown red macro algae that loves to grow. I've broken pieces off time and time again now.

The color morphing of zoas

Zoa island

The damage of my remaining plate coral

The chalice...totally forgot what kind since I'm no chalice expert, think hollywood stunner

The frag I got from Petco all colored up. I think worm brain

My dueling duncans

Carpet anemone
Old 11-30-2014, 08:40 PM   #1835
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

That nem looks good. Do you have a picture of those vermetid snail you had or maybe a link to one that looks like the ones you had? I looked them up and seen several different types. Just curious. I have plenty of tube worms and things in my tank, just though I should defiantly be on the lookout ya know.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #1836
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I didn't take any pictures of them this time, but somewhere in the thread there is a picture of one I removed that tube was several inches long. Think it was over the summer.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:01 AM   #1837
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Oh, I should also say I am seeing an improvement in color since dropping the intensity and red out of the Radions. Really pleased about that. 3 more vermethid snails glued shut on the trumpet. This is the only place I've been finding them. Simply following the webs they shoot out and it has been really effective.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:59 AM   #1838
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Thats good, glad tank I improving. I didn't realize that they got that size!

Old 12-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #1839
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Most don't. I just got some that are a real pain. I have the small ones that I don't even notice until I accidentally break one off with my arm when I'm working in the tank.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #1840
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Maintenance day. Cleaned out the skimmer, which wasn't working right again, the reactor, and of course water change. I changed out the Purigen and GFO...which was replaced by ChemiPure Elite. Simply because it was easier for me. As for the Purigen, that stuff was all through the sponges. My The Bag's are MIA, so I am trying out panty hose. This system is really being held together by all the panty hose that I run on it for filtration and preventing salt creep.

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef build, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com