Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2015, 11:08 PM   #2021
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Ahh, I see now. Very simple but nicely done. Those hydo lights will probably grow some algae pretty good. Did you drill several holes above then screen in the PVC, or does the screen actually slide into the pipe? I definitely want to see a video of it running! Ace, the helpful place... I love it! (They can be a little overpriced IMO though. I like to go with Lowes.)

Old 04-12-2015, 12:10 AM   #2022
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The entire piece slides up into the pipe and is held in by the zip ties, rather than hanging loose.
For the record, Ace can't be overpriced if the stir sticks were free! I did all my shopping at my local building supply. They know me and all my crazy aquarium shenanigans.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #2023
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
The entire piece slides up into the pipe and is held in by the zip ties, rather than hanging loose.
For the record, Ace can't be overpriced if the stir sticks were free! I did all my shopping at my local building supply. They know me and all my crazy aquarium shenanigans.
Ok cool, makes sense. Thats how they real you in.... free paints sticks! LOL
Old 04-14-2015, 09:34 PM   #2024
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

So, ATS is up and running so here are the continued thoughts on it. I need to add another drain on it as there is about an inch of water on the bottom currently. That with a leak here and there, I will still call it a success. Hopefully will get out to get the other clip on light this weekend for the other hydroponics LED and grab the small piece for the return and put it all together again. Pretty simple stuff.
Been so busy haven't had much time to do anything else besides a water change with the tank. It seems that my fairy wrasse has vanished. Might have been hiding, but with my wrasse track record I doubt it. It might simply be that every 3 days feeding isn't enough for them like it is for everything else.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:58 PM   #2025
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Minor setback with the ats. The silicone in one area have and was leaking. It was splashing on the stand and leaking out. Solved that with a filter sock for the time being. Thought it was too thin when I did it. But what this did prove is that another drain is needed, as the water level is where it needs to be now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 04-18-2015, 06:00 PM   #2026
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Was able to get into the hardware store before work today and get the fitting I've used as a drain to make the second drain. I took the ATS offline so it would be dry and able to work with it by the time I arrive home from work so I can drill the hole and silicone it into place. I will also be redoing the drain pipe from the original so it goes into the water line rather than fall into it to quiet it down. Will also be taking the length of silicone off along the bottom and reapplying in a much more generous manner as it wasn't enough to hold the water in and failed, creating a minor mess. This should address any issues remaining besides missing the second hydroponics light as I need to take a trip into town to get an actual clip on work light.
ALL that aside...there is already algae growth starting on the screen. I was very happy to see this this morning when I shut everything down. I spend some time pulling algae out after lights out when I got home from work, cutting out about an hour of sleep between my turn around shift, as the algae has been creeping up since taking the algae system offline.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:39 PM   #2027
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sounds like its gonna work out pretty good for you. The algae growth already is a good sign indeed. Can't wait to see how it does running top shape after a while.

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:16 PM   #2028
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

And on both sides of the screen even with one light.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:15 PM   #2029
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should use acrylic glue instead of silicon on the box. I ended up ditching the box and left it open so the box wouldn't get grimey and block light. The diffuser bar is held up with a PVC pipe bracket. Instead of zip ties, I made narrow rings out of a larger sized pipe ( the plumbing store gave me a short 6" piece for free). Then a small cut in the ring allows the screen to be inserted (then twist the ring a 1/4 turn to hold it in). Works like a charm, took a couple seconds to make and is quicker to use than a zip tie.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:49 PM   #2030
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Hm, never thought about the acrylic glue...either way there is silicone laying around the house by the ton. Free is the best kind, just like the paint sticks holding the box in place.
I like your idea for the screen, but this screen won't be removed from the pipe as the pipe unscrews at the 90 degree elbow and simply lifts out.
Either way, some additional silicon on the inside of the second drain to hold the pipe in place. The issue with this hole is that I grabbed a larger size than I needed in my rush to get in and out so I wasn't late for work. Either way, it'll hold...probably.

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef build, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com