Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #2031
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Got the second hydroponics LED hooked up and things are basically good to go. I need to get it on a timer, but run out of room for it. I'll manually manage for the time being.
I also wanted to point out sometimes the importance not to jump to conclusions. I reported some time ago about how the flame scallop was such a bad idea. This seemed like a good statement as it vanished during a heavy stretch at work and there was a shell sticking up from the sandbed. While investigating my tank with a red light tonight...there it was, happily filter feeding from under a rock almost in the back of the tank. Dumbfounded, but pleased. Now I need to figure out when it got put in for how long I've kept it.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:21 AM   #2032
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Got the second hydroponics LED hooked up and things are basically good to go. I need to get it on a timer, but run out of room for it. I'll manually manage for the time being.
I also wanted to point out sometimes the importance not to jump to conclusions. I reported some time ago about how the flame scallop was such a bad idea. This seemed like a good statement as it vanished during a heavy stretch at work and there was a shell sticking up from the sandbed. While investigating my tank with a red light tonight...there it was, happily filter feeding from under a rock almost in the back of the tank. Dumbfounded, but pleased. Now I need to figure out when it got put in for how long I've kept it.
I'm glad he appeared, that's great news! Those are the ones that have some kind of "electric power/light" for lack of better terms, right?

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:25 AM   #2033
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

No. That is the electric flame scallop. I wish it did that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 04-21-2015, 12:28 AM   #2034
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
No. That is the electric flame scallop. I wish it did that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Ah, okay thanks! Both sound like fun organisms to observe. I did see one in person in 2011 at a LFS, but haven't seen one since. They probably aren't imported as much as other creatures due to their level of difficulty. They are so stunning though!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:25 AM   #2035
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just chiming in on the flame scallops - kept an electric flame for a little over four months, but one day it disappeared after a water change (weird!) Fascinating creature, and the flashing behavior seems to really respond to the environment like the colors of a foxface. Made a little acrylic box for feeding phyto and zooplanktons, seemed to work alright.

On the tank, looking great - wish I had the time to improve the tank with similar DIY projects. So this current project is an algae scrubber? Sorry haven't read back enough yet.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:15 AM   #2036
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It is. I am quite pleased over all. Some minor drip leaks here and htere...but nothing that I'm concerned over in all honesty. It was actually really easy to do and didn't take up that much of my time, especially when compared to how long I was up last night pulling algae off of rocks.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:17 AM   #2037
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quick note in between shifts. Came home and red lighted the tank to see what was going on. There in my large duncan is the small orange clown, rubbing around like it was an anemone. Check the anemone, there is the large black female doing its thing. Possible lovers quarrel? Better not hurt my duncan, we'll see what is going on in the morning.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:05 PM   #2038
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Silly Clownfish. They think it's all about them... LOL

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:23 PM   #2039
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Well, clown has no interest in leaving my large duncan alone. I haven't seen any signs of it stressing it out...so I guess I'll let it slide. It is very odd as I've watched both clowns continue to interact together and...I guess 'show affection' is the best way to describe it...but the orange is in the duncan and the black goes to the RBTA at night.
Also, I totally forgot about the Purigen I was recharging on the porch. Rather than 8 hours in prime, it got about 2 days...rinsed it out well this afternoon and I don't smell any remaining bleach and it is very white. I'm going to give it another smell tomorrow as my allergies are acting up some, only because I tried to recharge it still in the panty hose I run Purigen in and want to ensure no bleach remains in that either. Sounds like project success!
Old 04-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #2040
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

A couple full tank shots.

As one can see, the coraline in the tank has exploded in growth. The credit card just isn't cutting it now. Any ideas besides razor blading it off?
And in the last tank shot, you can see the marine beta right after it shot out of the rocks and puffed up to intimidate me.

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef build, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com