Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2016, 10:28 PM   #2211
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Continued business as usual today. Water change and manual removal of any algae. Continuing to look better every week and really thanking these biopellets. Always seems some more detrius shows up after lights out on water change day, but it can wait until next week.
Colors are looking OK. Seeing more color from the acro and the mushrooms are showing themselves better than before.
Also ordered a cheap filter sock holder to hold these things in place as they keep falling down.
I pulled a small bag of Purigen out of the sump I forgot about some time ago. I was quite surprised, there attached to the bag was a vermetid snail. Removed.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:59 AM   #2212
Aquarium Advice Addict

Someone over here done a test with biopellets they couldn't beat algae and couldn't figure out why. He shut his tank down and restarted soaked all the rock till his po4 reading were 0. Still had bad algae problems. Then one day his mag cleaner detached in his sump.. Went to pull it out and found it stuck to the side of his reactor and all the pellets getting attracted to it. Done a lab test and found a whole bunch of metals in his pellets was crazy

Sent from my ZTE Blade Q Lux using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 02-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #2213
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That is pretty nuts. Still wonder what was causing the algae since they won't feed off of heavy metals.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:05 PM   #2214
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

just checked, my bio-pellets are not magnetic....LOL (two little fishies brand)

Were they some type of "bargain bin" type of deal?

Sniper, have you given your tank a complete black-out or very low light for a week to force the algae to grow on the scrubbers?
I found that was the only way I was able to shift where the algae was mainly growing.
cleaned up the refugium last week, now algae is starting again in the display. That tells me the balance is still too precarious for my liking.
Thinking of a bigger dedicated refugium.
How did you manage to save your hard corals? I lost all but one of mine and some of my zoas from crap growing over them.

it's always an ongoing process, intriguing for the DIY and Sherlock Holmes crowd
annoying as heck for others
Old 02-23-2016, 12:35 PM   #2215
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Lots of TLC is how I was able to save what I could. I still have my original bubble coral, that was very damaged. Due to all that damage, it is easy for algae to grow on it. Literal weekly removal from the skeleton. Everything else though wasn't that bad, just ensuring they weren't overwhelmed.
I didn't do a black out on the display. When I started I still had a clam I believe...and I get very anxious when it comes to clams and I never get it right even though I have kept much more delicate creatures than they.
I simply plugged the ATS in and let it start adjusting. It takes some time for the screen to get algae going on it and didn't want additional nutrients to be 'free' in the water column.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:44 PM   #2216
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Name:   ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456796552.384121.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  8.0 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456796569.555836.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  8.2 KB
Thought I'd do a quick share today. First is a nudibranch that was roaming around in my lfs' tank.
The second is the new filter sock holder I got today. It is a really nice eBay pickup. Next is to gather up felt to make more filter socks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 02-29-2016, 10:06 PM   #2217
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Nudibranchs are such cool creatures. Wonder what kind that one is. EBay has all your reef needs!

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:28 PM   #2218
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yeah, it'd be neat to have a nano tank just for nudibranch...but man their specialized needs simply don't make it worth it or even possible.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:47 AM   #2219
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I should have taken a picture of the clown tang they had. First time I've had the opportunity to see one in person. What a beauty.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:21 AM   #2220
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I should have taken a picture of the clown tang they had. First time I've had the opportunity to see one in person. What a beauty.
My LFS had one a good while back. They are beautiful!

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef build, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com