Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #231
Aquarium Advice Freak

Don't mean to keep bringing up your lobster but is it possible that it is a molt?? I have mistaken molts for dead inverts just for them to show up days later to my surprise.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:14 PM   #232
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It's fine you can bring it up. Yeah, most def not a molt. I'd notice a second lobster in my tank lol. I've been caught by molts before, but for whatever reason I have issues with inverts in my 36.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #233
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I woke up today and had more algae on some of my new rockwork. Added more GFO and turned my lights down to I believe 60%. Will be doing more work on the algae this weekend with a brush and water changes.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #234
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
I woke up today and had more algae on some of my new rockwork. Added more GFO and turned my lights down to I believe 60%. Will be doing more work on the algae this weekend with a brush and water changes.
Good luck!! It sounds like it is a very troublesome problem.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #235
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It isn't that bad to deal with in all reality. This is just going to take time. It took a month to get this way and it'll take atleast that long to get it under control. With my lights turned down and very minimal feedings tied in with manually removing the algae prior to weekly water change things are improving. It will get better and easier with the sump going. Tomorrow I'll plumb my PVC and give it 24 hours to set up. Hopefully one of my hardware stores will be open so I can get the one fitting for the pump to connect to my dual reactor. With that tackled the only thing left will be a clip for my old reptile light or finding a cheap light with a clip.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #236
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was thinking of using my old reptile light also.. Do you think that it would be safe? I kept the clamp for some reason so I just have to plug it in. I think it might raise the temp too much though..
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #237
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I wasnt going to use the same bulb. Thinking about the 10 watt energy saver bulbs that are like a 40 was and cover the 6500 spectrum. The heat from a reptile light is really from the bulb if i remember correctly.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #238
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh interesring.. I might do that also, but right now my t8 10k bulb will do.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #239
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That lighting is more than fine for a fuge. I wouldn't worry about doing anything different with it and put the money towards something else later on.

I spent my time scrubbing algae off the rocks I could remove from the tank and scrubbing the glass. Still growing quickly. Did the plumbing, it should be ready to go tomorrow. Wasn't sure about the seal from the flex tube onto the PVC, so I siliconed around the outside of it just incase. It is pretty crazy looking between my 2 tanks. My 36 is still algae free for the most part. The LED lighting is really feeding the fire since I'm only running the 2 actinic bulbs on the 36. The lawnmower blenny and coral beauty are doing great munching away at the algae. The rock I can't remove they have almost fully cleared up, pretty impressive since it looked like a field of grass.

Seaclone skimmer has once again stopped skimming. Will need to take it apart, scrub it down, and put it back together to get it going again. This has been a weekly ordeal. Hopefully at walmart I can find a piece that will connect the pump to the dual reactor so I can get that up and running instead of having the GFO in a sock right away.

While I was cleaning I spooked out my green clown goby! I thought he was dead. Hadn't seen him in a long time. Was a nice surprise.

I also moved my 550 PH over into the dead spot on the one side of the 55. Hung it on the back rather than the side so we'll see how that goes. Already alot of the buildup is gone without disturbing the sand which is a nice change.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #240
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

A couple updated pics from when I got home after lights out.

And the new fuge light

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef build, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com