Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the most part, have things set up in the 55. Moved all of my corals over. It will be either make or break for the bubble coral since it has been doing poorly and on a downward spiral. Salinity is alittle high, 1.032. I'll bring it down tomorrow with another water change. Debating on if the royal gramma will be going into the 55, saw it nip at my open brain tonight. Thinking about getting the 2 mated black and white clowns from my LFS...thinking about it really hard. That would put my tank at 3 fish and I'll ponder what else should go in and the 36 will become FOWLR so I can get the flame angel I wanted when I started this hobby and give me more options on fish. Postings will continue as the week goes on.

Did another small water change before leaving for work. Cut the 1.042 cycle salinity with some really low RO/DI. I got it down to 1.033. Do this again after work tomorrow. Corals are pretty pissed off, just hope it is because of the salinity and they are happily adjusting to the Radions even though they are at 10% power.

img_1916094_0_b5843c76ab4f3e6d086e535fbae8b1ee.jpg

img_1916094_1_7343fe9e403da1d963e4fc3259f85b1e.jpg

img_1916094_2_24addad054e48f25c37435711fdf16ab.jpg

img_1916094_3_de2c7bb1506e4500b74bae1246b43b9e.jpg

img_1916094_4_b9ddde6ddfd9afc8b9ec4361d8be17ff.jpg

Nice pictures! I'm sure they aren't liking the saltiness and will probably appreciate that you are bringing down the salinity.

Got my order from saltwaterfish.com today. Amazing looking stuff. To this date, the best looking stuff I have put into my tank.

I did about a 20 gallon water change, salinity still isn't where I want it to be...but it'll have to wait. It has to wait mostly because I started doing stupid things like accidently knocking the bottom connector of my skimmer off, dumping all of the water onto my feet. It is now hanging off the back of my tank...but producing better results. Temp acclimated everything for 2 hours while I was at physical therapy.

The indigo dottyback is a gorgeous looking fish. Can't wait for him to come back out once he's comfortable. Put the pink birds nest, acan, chalice, and worm brain in the sand bed. Set the radions to acclimate mode, they won't be on again til tomorrow.

Now I sit back and watch. Really nervous at this point, of all the coral I had in my 36, everything is dead except my 2 duncans and 2 rics. They are not happy in the slightest. Hoping all my work today did something for the good. Tossed in some snails, hermits, and accidentally added my emerald crab into the mix to get some of the algae and diatoms taken care of.

Pictures of the new stuff? I'd love to see them. I'm sending positive vibes your way that things will go well with the new additions!

These are beautiful corals, that right now look embarrassing in my tank with how bad it is right now. The worm brain was showing its stress by sliming and pulled all of the sand that is on it from the water column...I'm keeping my hands out of the tank until I'm home from work tomorrow.

Worm Brain
img_1918060_0_1dfc00f62bfe90557217a72c05f5134a.jpg

Chalice and pink bird's nest
img_1918060_1_5cde6a25a31e512d7a692e2fc0b32fab.jpg

acan
img_1918060_2_30b52b447e26839084f2478c659b2315.jpg

Sniperhank said:
No clue. Left for work before lights were on and we havent been called to testify yet...and a 5 hour drive back across the state after.
I see. Well, I hope all is well and they look happy when you get home!

Finally got home. Lights were out, obviously, but looked at the new corals. Appears the worm brain and acan are ok. I believe the chalice is doing ok, I'll know better when the lights are on tomorrow. The birds nest on the other hand is bleaching. Another failed attempt at SPS... I should have waited. The diatoms are out of control. I wiped them off with my mag float and it actually got stuck to the glass there was so much. My skimmer is going nuts cleaning crap out of the tank as well.

Either way, I'm on freeze from adding new coral to the tank. Still want the 2 black clowns from my LFS if they are still there...I'd assume they are since there aren't many on the salty side in the area. They paired up nicely there though, so I have actual hopes for them.

Definitely get the clowns! That will be so cool! Sorry about that one coral bleaching. Do they bleach from too much light or not enough? Maybe if you move it to more light or less light it will do better? I'm glad to hear your other ones appear to be doing well. I know me- I would have turned the lights on. LOL!

Sps are special. Too much, too little, not enough flow, to large of a pwc, running to much carbon...plain and simple the 55 is too new for sps. I know this, just didnt use the knowledge i have. The plan for them in the future is to run a controller on my tank that will monitor salinity, ph...you get the idea. Either way im not allowed to buy more coral until things are stable...so a couple months. Need to nurse my duncams back into the game anyway...might even just put them and the acan back in the 36. Dont know, well see. This will take time and patience, plain and simple.

Sniperhank said:
Sps are special. Too much, too little, not enough flow, to large of a pwc, running to much carbon...plain and simple the 55 is too new for sps. I know this, just didnt use the knowledge i have. The plan for them in the future is to run a controller on my tank that will monitor salinity, ph...you get the idea. Either way im not allowed to buy more coral until things are stable...so a couple months. Need to nurse my duncams back into the game anyway...might even just put them and the acan back in the 36. Dont know, well see. This will take time and patience, plain and simple.

So they are just very needy, like a high maintenance girlfriend. LOL!

And they dont even cuddle afterwards. Eitherway, the key will be patience and utilizing one of my knowledge bases, computer tech. I alreadt manage my radions with my computer, so wouldnt be a large leap to add things to it.

There will def be a controller, wavemaker, and ato in my future prior to any sps.

Sniperhank said:
And they dont even cuddle afterwards. Eitherway, the key will be patience and utilizing one of my knowledge bases, computer tech. I alreadt manage my radions with my computer, so wouldnt be a large leap to add things to it.

There will def be a controller, wavemaker, and ato in my future prior to any sps.

Those things sound awesome! I imagine a wave maker would be fun. ATO would be super convenient. I don't really know what a controller does. Will have to look that up.

Controllers are sweet, I plan to get one eventually in the mean time it's good ole fashioned timers. Sorry to hear your unfortunate luck with sps, may still be salvageable if you move it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom