Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Just a quick update. Came home from work last night and the 55 is filled with algae to the point there is some floating around on the top of the water. I unplugged my radions and will clean the mess up tomorrow since it is my day off. Pretty happy about this though, really hoping my nitrites are done with and I just need to do a large water change and switch my livestock over to the 55.
I hope you're right!!

Old 04-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #62
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I had time before I had to leave for work and tested. No ammonia, .25 nitrite, and no nitrate thanks to my algae bloom.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I had time before I had to leave for work and tested. No ammonia, .25 nitrite, and no nitrate thanks to my algae bloom.
That's great!! The nitrites are so low! Can you post a picture of the algae bloom later? I've never seen one.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #64
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I won't get home from work til midnight so that will be tomorrow. Mine isn't that bad, just wanted to nip it in the butt so I killed my lights. Need to lower the time they are on anyway. It is mostly a diatom bloom, with it over all the sand that isn't in the area of the one powerhead, which is also covered. It is also on the glass. The only annoying part is the stuff against the glass in the sandbed.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I won't get home from work til midnight so that will be tomorrow. Mine isn't that bad, just wanted to nip it in the butt so I killed my lights. Need to lower the time they are on anyway. It is mostly a diatom bloom, with it over all the sand that isn't in the area of the one powerhead, which is also covered. It is also on the glass. The only annoying part is the stuff against the glass in the sandbed.
Lol! I thought your tank was all green and crazy looking. I've seen diatoms. They are annoying. I hope turning the light out today has helped.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:10 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you test your water again after you got home? Are the nitrites 0?
Old 04-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #67
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Still have some nitrites, as I expected today. Moved another piece of LR from my 36 into the 55. Also began disassembling my sump setup to move over onto the 55 as well. Will get the rest of the piping/hosing tomorrow and will get that up and running. Was some really great stuff on saltwaterfish.com that I wanted...was hard to hold off. For the best though, shouldn't order any SPS until the 55 is ready since they just die.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Still have some nitrites, as I expected today. Moved another piece of LR from my 36 into the 55. Also began disassembling my sump setup to move over onto the 55 as well. Will get the rest of the piping/hosing tomorrow and will get that up and running. Was some really great stuff on saltwaterfish.com that I wanted...was hard to hold off. For the best though, shouldn't order any SPS until the 55 is ready since they just die.
It's hard to be patient. At least you have a project to be working on. Hopefully the sump goes back together easily. I'm going to have to go look at that website and dream about when I can turn my tank into a reef.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:35 AM   #69
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Don't be too jealous, I've killed many SPS and struggle to keep shrimp alive. One of the 3 I put in Monday died already.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:53 AM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Don't be too jealous, I've killed many SPS and struggle to keep shrimp alive. One of the 3 I put in Monday died already.
Some of the other folks on here make it sound so easy! I imagine I'll kill my fair share learning the ways of the saltwater world one day.

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef build, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com