Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-28-2012, 02:13 AM   #701
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
needmorecowbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

The nem or the crab? Your Hawk would dominate the crab....
the crab, and yeah lol forgot about that. But some people say that hawks have only given shrimps trouble.. Idk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
The crab is the size of the fingernail on my pinky finger, one of the fish farts too hard it'll dominate the crab! Oh, update. Skimmer is really working now. Increased water restriction, restricted more air from silencer, cleaned skimmer. Was really spitting water all over, so I added my new favorite thing...panty hose. Problem solved.
haha I'll keep that in mind, don't want any fish farts.. So how much was it? And that's great! I'm sure algae issues will be gone after it removes all the crap that's accumulated.
__________________

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #702
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 16,510
The crab was like 12 bucks or something. Don't really remember. I have been working lots of unpaid OT at work and haven't been giving the tank much attention. I wish I had, I would have been able to see what my clam is doing more...don't think it is doing well. Mantle isn't extended. I moved the rock it is on and it adjusted itself on the rock for better flow so IDK. I target fed it some microvert this morning so we'll see. I just know with clams once you catch it it is probably too late so Im not getting my hopes up.

Other news...skimmer is still going. Really wet skim, but it is skim so I'm happy. Did a water change on Monday and replaced the panty hose in the tank. They are doing a great job at catching junk. Quite happy with it. Fish are doing well, even the mandarin looks to be good and chubby. My only concern is with my sps corals and them being white. Now, they have full polyp extension and are growing, so I'm confused. The prime example is my Stylophora which is white on the side facing the light and maroon on the underside. I moved it into the sandbed to see what happens. My birdsnest is doing a similar thing as well, even my frag of it. The frag has encrusted and is growing, just white...
__________________

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #703
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bearchumjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Red Mountain WA
Posts: 3,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
The crab was like 12 bucks or something. Don't really remember. I have been working lots of unpaid OT at work and haven't been giving the tank much attention. I wish I had, I would have been able to see what my clam is doing more...don't think it is doing well. Mantle isn't extended. I moved the rock it is on and it adjusted itself on the rock for better flow so IDK. I target fed it some microvert this morning so we'll see. I just know with clams once you catch it it is probably too late so Im not getting my hopes up.

Other news...skimmer is still going. Really wet skim, but it is skim so I'm happy. Did a water change on Monday and replaced the panty hose in the tank. They are doing a great job at catching junk. Quite happy with it. Fish are doing well, even the mandarin looks to be good and chubby. My only concern is with my sps corals and them being white. Now, they have full polyp extension and are growing, so I'm confused. The prime example is my Stylophora which is white on the side facing the light and maroon on the underside. I moved it into the sandbed to see what happens. My birdsnest is doing a similar thing as well, even my frag of it. The frag has encrusted and is growing, just white...
Petco has Pom poms for 12.99.

That stinks you are working OT and not getting paid for it! Sorry about that.

Im glad the skimmer is skimming!

That's weird about the corals and I hope thu start coloring up for you. Also I really want your clam to perk up! Thank you for the update. I was beginning to wonder how it was going.
__________________
Some people like cucumbers better pickled.
Bearchumjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #704
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 16,510




Here is the resilient purple na na still holding on
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #705
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
needmorecowbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,638
I have had similar coloration issues with my light, I put them lower and it seems to help, but very little.. I wish I woulda just went halide tbh, I'm not very thrilled with led. I think it's a you get what you pay for type of thing
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #706
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 16,510
If you get what you pay for then They should be so colorful they shoot rainbows out of their polyps. I'm going to continue lowering intensity, I think it is just too much for them, hence the reason they don't to be vibrantly colored.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #707
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
needmorecowbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
If you get what you pay for then They should be so colorful they shoot rainbows out of their polyps. I'm going to continue lowering intensity, I think it is just too much for them, hence the reason they don't to be vibrantly colored.
Lol yeah, but ive seen some pretty corals with them above it. Just keep on lowering, I'm on 25% with mine and I still have issues!
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #708
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 16,510
You should see the other corals though! My orange monti is going to town growing. Same with the bottle brush and everything else sps wise.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #709
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bearchumjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Red Mountain WA
Posts: 3,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
You should see the other corals though! My orange monti is going to town growing. Same with the bottle brush and everything else sps wise.
I want to know what the red thing in the center are of the tank is. It pops right out at you and says "pleased to meet you!"
__________________
Some people like cucumbers better pickled.
Bearchumjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #710
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 16,510
You mean the big red sponge? Ugh, I hate that thing.
__________________

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef build, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.