Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #711
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
You mean the big red sponge? Ugh, I hate that thing.
Whaaaat?! Why?? Its purdy!

Old 09-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #712
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I just can't keep build up off of it. In a high flow tank. Hurts my brain. If never do it again. Be room for another coral!

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #713
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

So, I have been pondering. On my 55, I do a weekly 5 gal water change. That is just shy of 10%. No issues in the tank and, I'll be honest, I just don't test anymore. Now that the octopus has started skimming the issues in my tank have plunged down to trying to figure out my silly SPS issues, which I believe comes down to lighting and I will continue to adjust. Well, that is slightly untrue. My candy cane continues to be a pain in my side. I put it right beside my blue trumpet, which is doing quite well. Same level, same flow...yet the candy cane continues to struggle and die off. Like I've said time and time again, I'll never own another one.

So, my head scratcher is this. Should I do slightly larger water changes? Am I just looking for problems to solve at this point?

Also, my current dirty secret is that I have been testing out PurpleUp on my reef. Had been quite disgruntled regarding my coraline growth considering how my sps are actually growing. After several weeks of dosing I actually noticed some significant growth. I then stopped adding it for 2 weeks. No real noticeable growth. So I dosed again yesterday before work after I target fed my clam, which I just feel it might be too late for.

Oh, so now that I've painted the back of my tank black how am I supposed to clean it? Using the magfloat is almost impossible and my tank's toothbrush isn't tough enough to get it off. Any ideas?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #714
Aquarium Advice Freak

Test your water if u don't need a water change hold off bc my guy told me when doin water changes u are removing bacteria from the water which might need to stay in the the tank. I haven't done a WC in 6 weeks I test my water for certain things every week not all. And I'm running great.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #715
Fish R friends, not food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve silbernagel View Post
Test your water if u don't need a water change hold off bc my guy told me when doin water changes u are removing bacteria from the water which might need to stay in the the tank. I haven't done a WC in 6 weeks I test my water for certain things every week not all. And I'm running great.
You are removing nitrates and gunk if you are vacuuming. Beneficial bacteria is not in the water that you are taking out.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #716
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Well, there is very little bacteria in the water column of your tank. Most of it is on the rock and sand. In terms of not doing a water change for 2 months...I just won't do it. In my FOWLR tank I don't do the water changes weekly, but it is obvious. There is algae on my rocks, something that isn't acceptable in my reef.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #717
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

So my bw clown is acting like she is getting ready to be hosted by my flowerpot...stupid fish. Maybe I'll print a pic off of one with a men...maybe them she will get the picture.

Added 1k pods last night and it came w/more few zoas. This frag is actually large and I'm interested to see what it is once it opens up, so far 3 have skirts showing and they are orange. Free bam bams? Score. If they aren't bams, be interesting to see what they are.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #718
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So my bw clown is acting like she is getting ready to be hosted by my flowerpot...stupid fish. Maybe I'll print a pic off of one with a men...maybe them she will get the picture.

Added 1k pods last night and it came w/more few zoas. This frag is actually large and I'm interested to see what it is once it opens up, so far 3 have skirts showing and they are orange. Free bam bams? Score. If they aren't bams, be interesting to see what they are.
Yay for free coral! Boo for silly clowns! Tell her to leave that flowerpot alone! Or at least post a picture of her by it.... Lol!
Old 09-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #719
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Orange skirt with blue/white middle. Nice.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #720
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Orange skirt with blue/white middle. Nice.
I like those!!

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef build, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com