Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an lfs down in Long beach area that has giant clam. Not sure exactly how big measurement wise but it was huge. Maybe 24" -30" or bigger.

Oh, and I'm trying to come up with a plan to address my low flow. In a tank with 5 power heads that used to run great, it has settled down to so little, especially in the corners. I actually have some cyano showing up in the one. I've even pointed power heads down at the sandbed to help and it hasn't done anything.

Is it possible to move some rock around (or out) to allow more flow? I know it is a simple solution (possibly) but I have seen it done. I had a local guy give me 30-45 pounds of his live rock because after adding a bunch of corals, his tank flow was not working like before. Big difference in the flow afterwards.

I run them in vinegar weekly. It is becoming a big pain keeping the algae off of them. One needs replaced as the cover is broken and barely staying on. Still believe the build up in the sump is the issue and finishing cleaning it out will address some of it. Do that and siphon the dead spots which I've been doing for some time now should leave 0 detrius in the system...though there isn't much left after the continued attack on the dead spots...just keeps filling back up with algae tumble weeds.

Oh, and for all those who like Ecotech products like I do...BRS has the Ecotech ReefLink in limited stock now!
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reeflink-wireless-controller-ecotech-marine.html

It is getting pretty rediculous. This algae is really feeding on almost 0 phosphates...and of course 0 nitrate reading. I literally have an ammonia bucket in my sink all the time now...the fiancee always asks when she can have the sink back since there is the bucket and all the ro/di stuff surrounding it LOL. Maybe I should move the ro/di to my parents house where there is better tds and go order filters/resin again...

Don't piss off the fiancé. Moving rodi unit to your parents would mean you're back to transporting water again. Certainly not ideal unless they live nearby. Can you locate the bucket elsewhere? Garage, extra bathroom or even outside?

In my case, it is the issue of the water source. Natural spring that has manure that leaches into the water. My parents, who share the same water source, have a large filtration system that remove many impurities already, including a UV sterilizer and softener. It wouldn't be too much of an issue to move it up there...we basically share the same yard. Would be able to carry buckets down and wouldn't be buying distilled water from walmart in bulk...The hope would be that the added filtration on their end would increase the life span of my filters and resin.

Continued updating. I cleaned 2 of the powerheads today. I couldn't remember if I had removed and cleaned the actual guts of them down to the magnet or not, so I ensured I did so on these 2 to try to increase performance. I thought that while I was at it, I would take a picture of the worst overgrown of all my powerheads. This is the one that sits below my return from the sump. Almost embarrassing, to be honest, that it got to this level without me noticing.

Only one pump left to clean...cleaning things out has been pushing sand around while I was at work. So this is tech a good thing in terms of flow!
I'm not really doing a water change this week. As was previously discussed, I took down the sump and cleaned it and everything inside it. That ended up being a much larger water change. If I normally do between 4-5 a week, the sump ended up holding 15 gallons. So that should help by not only exporting any possible issues, but also removing all the sediment in the sump. If anyone asks if filter socks are important, then this issue could have been avoided if I had always had some going on the sump early in its life.
The sump is currently sitting there mixing as I am using it as a large bucket to mix its own water up. After salinity is reached, I'll move the heater back into the sump and shortly there after start the system up again.

So, the dormitory I supervise won an award so I have an extra 100 coming my way. I might be able to buy a vortech! So the question returns, mp10 or 40? The power of the 40 scares me lol.

So, the dormitory I supervise won an award so I have an extra 100 coming my way. I might be able to buy a vortech! So the question returns, mp10 or 40? The power of the 40 scares me lol.

I have an mp40 in my 45 I like it, you don't have to turn it up all the way. I figured it's better to run the 40 half way up than run the 10 all the way up. All though I run my mp40 at about 75% to keep detritus or anything building up in the rocks.

Continued updating. I cleaned 2 of the powerheads today. I couldn't remember if I had removed and cleaned the actual guts of them down to the magnet or not, so I ensured I did so on these 2 to try to increase performance. I thought that while I was at it, I would take a picture of the worst overgrown of all my powerheads. This is the one that sits below my return from the sump. Almost embarrassing, to be honest, that it got to this level without me noticing.
http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/Supervisorhank/media/IMG_0322_zps5ceb166e.jpg.html

Holy Coraline algae batman, Great on the rocks not so much on jets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom