Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to agree that you should get the mp40. You can dial it down to suit the tank and desired flow. I personally have two mp40's on my 90g running "anti-sync" and both are turned all the way up and it's great. The mp40s and led lights are two expensive upgrades that I don't think twice about, absolutely worth it.

I think I'm pretty sold. Well see how things look this weeks paycheck. Should have an extra couple hundred thanks to my last court trip and winning the leadership award. Def makes it close to doable.

So, as I usually do a quick maintenance post in the thread...this one is a real winner. Usual water change, whatever...right? While doing this and siphoning out the cyano that has come about this week I remind myself that it might be time to change the media in the reactor. So, crawl behind the tank I go and start loosening the first reactor...but there is a rock or something under my foot! What is under my foot? The plug...reactor is plugged back in. I expect the issues to continue to recede... I'm an idiot lol.

So, as I usually do a quick maintenance post in the thread...this one is a real winner. Usual water change, whatever...right? While doing this and siphoning out the cyano that has come about this week I remind myself that it might be time to change the media in the reactor. So, crawl behind the tank I go and start loosening the first reactor...but there is a rock or something under my foot! What is under my foot? The plug...reactor is plugged back in. I expect the issues to continue to recede... I'm an idiot lol.

Lol,.. You ain't seen nothing yet ! A couple of more years and you'll forget where you left your aquarium.

Last edited:
Lol, we've all been there. Funny that yours is in a bloom, prob will subside now... Lol

I just learned about the macro algae in my tank. I had been calling coralline, but the brown potato chip like algae is called padina sp. Really neat, my tank is filled with the stuff. Live-plants.com sells it for 8 bucks a pint.

Well, it is official. I ordered the MP40 for my tank! Also tossed in a new RO membrane, new DI resin, and reagent for my phosphate checker. So once this all arrives, things will get squared away...leaving me to remove one, if not more, of the existing powerheads. I'm thinking about moving one into the sump and wanting to add some macro algae...I was thinking about a type of caulpera or something...Still thinking about that one, so all opinions are welcome on this one.

Well, it is official. I ordered the MP40 for my tank! Also tossed in a new RO membrane, new DI resin, and reagent for my phosphate checker. So once this all arrives, things will get squared away...leaving me to remove one, if not more, of the existing powerheads. I'm thinking about moving one into the sump and wanting to add some macro algae...I was thinking about a type of caulpera or something...Still thinking about that one, so all opinions are welcome on this one.

I grow a bunch of macro in my refugium, seems to keep nitrates and phosphates down even without running a skimmer. The amount I grow has helped me eliminate nuisance algae in my display.

So, things are going ok. Tomorrow is water change day... Only downer is that the MP40 won't show up until Thursday. Had 5 days off and it arrives when I'm back at work and won't be able to fiddle with it until Sunday when I'm off work again. Ugh!! But things are doing well, there is still one small chunk of cyano...and tbh it is probably some I missed siphoning since there has been no return since realizing my reactors were offline. I'll keep dealing with it during maintenance.

So, things are going ok. Tomorrow is water change day... Only downer is that the MP40 won't show up until Thursday. Had 5 days off and it arrives when I'm back at work and won't be able to fiddle with it until Sunday when I'm off work again. Ugh!! But things are doing well, there is still one small chunk of cyano...and tbh it is probably some I missed siphoning since there has been no return since realizing my reactors were offline. I'll keep dealing with it during maintenance.

What reactors do you use?

I run a dual reactor from BRS. I run phosguard and a "carbon" source in it...have gone from activated carbon to chemipure...but really like purigen and haven't ordered new recently.

Yes I do. I hate GFO. I could never get the stuff to tumble right and it would eventually cake up. Total pain. This stuff is def best of the anti phosphate media that I've tried out once getting fed up with GFO. I liked Cobalt's new line of anti phosphate and nitrate media...but it only lasts 17 days compared to the 30 of Phosguard, atleast in my tank before I switch it out.

Yes I do. I hate GFO. I could never get the stuff to tumble right and it would eventually cake up. Total pain. This stuff is def best of the anti phosphate media that I've tried out once getting fed up with GFO. I liked Cobalt's new line of anti phosphate and nitrate media...but it only lasts 17 days compared to the 30 of Phosguard, atleast in my tank before I switch it out.

I'm picking up a single BRS reactor from a local guy today, what's the best place to order the phosguard?

I wish I could order from BRS. They only ship ups which where I live is a disaster. Shipped through them 3 times and each time was an absolute nightmare. 1st the delivered to the wrong address, 2nd they delivered over a week late, 3rd they delivered Monday when the package was to be delivered Friday. Was my xbox1 day one that ended up being a day 4. When waiting 6 months for it that extra 4 days was bs.

But that is an issue with UPS and I'd complain...though it probably won't do much.

Well, the water change is finally done in the tank. I'm also glad I went and changed out the media in my reactors. When they were off, a ton of gunk was caught up in the sponges that needed cleaned out.

So, the only thing remaining is the skimmer on this system. Now that I need one, any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom