Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #831
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Can't get my sump up and running...the return pump is fine, the stupid overflow won't get the air bubble out of it. So for the time being the aqualifter is just pulling water straight from the tank into the overflow rather than preventing loss of siphon, since i can't get it to return. My orange monti is probably dead. white and algae starting to grow over it. Frustration continues.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #832
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Sump tried to overflow the tank. Just turned it all off. Deal with it tomorrow after work.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #833
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Can't get my sump up and running...the return pump is fine, the stupid overflow won't get the air bubble out of it. So for the time being the aqualifter is just pulling water straight from the tank into the overflow rather than preventing loss of siphon, since i can't get it to return. My orange monti is probably dead. white and algae starting to grow over it. Frustration continues.
It would be a good idea to keep the aqualifter in there all the time, it will prevent floods ( I've had It happen, thank god I have it in a basement)

Starting a sump is always a pain, but once it's running you'll love it, I promise lol.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #834
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I have always had an aqualifter on my system...it is just being difficult...
Old 11-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #835
Aquarium Advice Addict

On the siphon? If that's the case, maybe clean the siphon a couple times a month, I have to do that. Algae restricts a lot of flow and it will latch on to small bubbles that would normally pass through.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #836
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'm aware. I already cleaned it which is the more frustrating part. I even regularly take a paperclip to clean out the tube for the aqualifter, since nothing else will fit in there. That usually does the trick to get the algae cleaned out...so that isn't it. The lifter isn't the issue either, it moved water when I placed the intake into the tank. Work in progress I guess.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #837
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had to position my over flow at a slant to keep the little air bubble away from the air tube. When I added my second take I couldn't figure out why my old tank all of a sudden kept loosing siphon. Try increasing your flow from the return
Old 11-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #838
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Tried increasing the flow from the return...thats how I almost overflowed it. 2 days and can't get any flow through the overflow at all. Going to take it all apart when I get home from work. I threw a fit about it during dinner at my parent's home last night so maybe I'll have a drilled tank for xmas? Lol, I'd be the happiest man on earth. All of these power outages have created issues with getting siphon started back up and murdered my sps...a new drilled tank would let me make my own stand and canopy with the addition of battery backups and my issues would be gone.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #839
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keep throwing fits about it and how much easier a ore drilled tank will be!

I'm sorry about your coral loss and that the thing won't work right. You'll get it figured out soon!
Old 11-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #840
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Haven't been able to find time to reboot the overflow since I worked 12 hours yesterday. Besides planting a seed about a drilled tank, I looked up a 100 long from glasscages and the price is much better than I thought it would be. So that might be the future project...just no room currently in my house LOL. But I've been daydreaming about a new tank and building a nice stand and having everything nice and neat under the tank...would be so much better since having it behind the tank is a TON of noise and I have cords everywhere. Oh to daydream...

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef build, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com