Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I couldn't help myself. Reefs2go had a 50% off coral sale today. Ordered 1 polyp of Lord of the Rings zoas (to replace the ones I ordered before that didn't make it), 1 polyp bad mamma jamma zoas, 10+ merlot zoas, and 1 head dendro. Not bad at all I think. I really want the LotR and BMJ to survive and thrive like the other zoas in my tank. They are amazing specimens.
It'll also be my first try at a non-photosynthetic coral with the dendro. I have some nice fully shaded spots to try out. I'll have to have some mysis constantly in the fridge to feed it a piece daily...see if that drives the wife nuts or not!
But here is where I'm looking for input. The derasa still isn't fully extending the mantle. There aren't any further signs of deteriorating, but it might not ever recover. I think about simply removing it from the tank every day. Thoughts on removal of the sick clam...go.

Leave it alone. It could still make a come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Dendros do utilize some light. A low light area is also an option. They are quite easy IME, and are fun to feed. They do not need to be fed daily though. A couple times a week is fine.
I just had a clam start to fail on me and found that the salt mix I was using had an alk level of 6, which was not buffering my system like I needed. At the end of the week it was under 6 and after adjusting this back up to 8, it fully recovered. I truly thought it was a gonner. How's the alk?

Interesting you bring up alk. I was thinking about it yesterday. So I test, as it's been forever since I've thought about alk. 92 ppm...that's 5.1 if my conversion is right.
So, low alk levels through Red Sea pro and kent...interesting. Guess I'm back to dosing. See if that fixes things.
In other news, there have been a ton of brown outs here lately. This leading to my current black out. So, been losing siphon. Found out why. The nipple on my CPR overflow is cracked almost fully off. So, need a new one. Currently trying to fix this one with glue.
Rains it pours.

I'm betting that clam will make a comeback in no time once you raise alk levels. I bought the BRS 3 part kit, but haven't needed to use the calcium or mag supplements as of yet. Keeping it just over 8 seemed to straighten everything out. ;)

Ok. Overflow was fixed with the glue. I'm pretty shocked, but the redneck reefing continues. Also replaced the airline tubing on the aqualifter as the old one was clear with algae growing in it. Now it is black. Can already see improved performance. Was something I was aware of, just didn't get around to or remember when working on the tank.
So, now that the sump is back online so is the ATO. Fresh gallon of water put on the ATO that was supplemented with the Alk I got from BRS awhile back the last time I played the alkalinity game. We'll see how things go and improve tomorrow since I work tonight.
As of now, wife is on tank watch. Fingers crossed.

I'm betting that clam will make a comeback in no time once you raise alk levels. I bought the BRS 3 part kit, but haven't needed to use the calcium or mag supplements as of yet. Keeping it just over 8 seemed to straighten everything out. ;)

I've never used the calcium or mag yet either X. Only the alk.

Speaking about alk and it's measurements ...and re my new Hana tester., what's the formula for translating ppm into regular numbers like 8.5 etc ?

Not a good week it seems. I mixed things up and started the water change...come back from getting the dog from the groomer and I've precipitated calcium into the display. Over all, only on the one mp40 and on the marshall island latana, which isn't very happy. Waiting on the wife to show up from the store with more water to mix up another batch to do things in a smart manner.

The clam didn't make it. Too long of a struggle. Stopped closing up today so it is gone from the tank. Maintenance continues. All of the frags I got? All dead and gone too. Pretty frustrating day overall.

that sucks ,
sorry to hear the clam and frags didn't make it ,
hope things start taking a curve for the better

No matter what, if you break the tank down and get out of the hobby, you will only miss it to eventually repurchase a new system. No matter what happens, keep going.

No matter what, if you break the tank down and get out of the hobby, you will only miss it to eventually repurchase a new system. No matter what happens, keep going.

Thankfully, that isn't an option on the table. I always keep going. Things will be better and I know it. Just time.

Thankfully, that isn't an option on the table. I always keep going. Things will be better and I know it. Just time.

I think we've all gone thru these times when you tank takes a real dumper ,.. It's trying to figure out just what the heck happened to cause it AND what the heck can I do to fix it is the burning question,... Like Doug says ,.. Once it's in your blood it's in your blood ,... You'll figure it out one way or another ,... It's just such a fascinating hobby with soooo much to learn and understand, ,..Sit back, pop a cold one and think it thru ,... If that doesn't work than pop another ,....Remember to make changes slowly ,

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom