Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, you need a handful of par 38's and direct them at all the dark areas....like they do in Japan--
img_3145068_0_ee067de52f4b9cd205b92c022ef8c2e9.jpg

Not the cleanest look, but it seems like everything is getting enough light. For a taller tank wouldn't penetration be a problem?

Also, I couldn't play the video of the betta, Hank. How closely are marine bettas related to the freshwater species? My "normal" betta has similar intimidation tactics :p

I don't think they are related at all. But it uses the big spot on the back of it to look like an eye and intimidate things. It really shoots out from the rocks rear first explodes as large as it can. It is really cool, but every time the phone is involved to record it, it doesn't do it like normal.

How tall are we talking? Under 3' shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thought I heard somewhere that par38's don't penetrate deeper tanks very well... maybe it's just that they just don't cover a particularly wide area (which the Japanese setups seem to have solved.)

Also, it makes sense about the ecotech lenses and light spread, but still kind of annoying that you have to switch out lenses for such an expensive light.

Well they didn't come out with the wide angle lens until a year after I had bought them. Things are always changing and always improving. That is the beauty of commerce and capitalism. I wouldn't be happy with a company not trying to improve their product. My gut tells me that we will be seeing another great change coming out of Ecotech in the shape of a powerhead in the coming months. The MP40 is pretty old at this point and expect the sale on them to point towards a new powerhead coming.
BUT, back on topic, the wide angle lenses are only like 35 bucks a piece, drop in the bucket for Ecotech quality...especially when you want to have a tank run totally by their products.

Thought I heard somewhere that par38's don't penetrate deeper tanks very well... maybe it's just that they just don't cover a particularly wide area (which the Japanese setups seem to have solved.)

Also, it makes sense about the ecotech lenses and light spread, but still kind of annoying that you have to switch out lenses for such an expensive light.
They are groups of 3 watt LEDs if I'm not mistaken. 3 watters should penetrate just fine.

Well, pretty excited. Two RMS are now headed in my direction. No more obnoxiously hung lights from my ceiling. Now, once I clear things up with Ecotech about the different optics helping my tank, I'll have a busy week off.

Ended up being pretty sold on the idea of the wide angle lenses, especially with it being an easy swap out. They are ordered and will be arriving just in time to be taking them down from the awful ceiling hangers and onto the sleek and sexy RMS.

Last minute purchases today. Needed a new cordless drill, just a small guy for work here and there...and picked up a diamond tipped drill bit. Just wider than a normal frag plug. This will open up for me to plug the plugs into some rock to grow and encrust over...aka my war coral and that awesome acro.

Only a quick update. This guy regarding my hydrogen peroxide dips. Really great results on the two frags I tested it out on. They were on the downfall, so if I made a mistake I wouldn't be too upset at the outcome. So, with them being algae free I will be doing more when I go into my days off. That will give me 9 days until I have to be back at work. Lots of time to get things done around the house, in the tank, and other such things.

Any suggestions on a next coral? I keep hovering around the diver's den and such looking at the SPS, but can't make any decisions. I'd kill for an oregon tort, but not paying that kind of money for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom